lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2016, 10:12 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery watering

P.S.
I have to remind those who are still using auto-fill systems of the documented danger of hydrogen gas explosion associated with these convenient fill systems.

Batteries release hydrogen gas when charged through the vent caps. This gas disperses harmlessly. When an auto fill system is installed the gas is trapped in the fill tubes creating the opportunity for an explosion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batteries exploded.jpg (212.6 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #12
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
The trickle on my charger is about 3 amps and I can hear the batteries bubbling.
3 amps and bubbling is not a trickle charge. They are still charging at that stage.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #13
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjance View Post
3 amps and bubbling is not a trickle charge. They are still charging at that stage.
OK, will check water this Eve and leave on charger. Even if I don't drive much, still put back on charger?
klanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:41 PM   #14
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

Very good point Scotty that happened to my neighbor, he had one blow under his *** while driving and the chain reaction through the filler system got 4 more.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:07 PM   #15
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Battery watering

The recommended method is to keep your cart plugged in whenever you are nit using it...unless you are going to be gone for more than a month...then use a battery minder or some other brand to just maintain the batteries.
Comment about auto-watering systems...the picture that ScottyB posted was of a EzGo Factory watering system that was a POS from day one and most dealers removed them whenever they had a chance. I believe there are some quality watering systems that are safe and I have asked for some technical info to support that premis. I will follow up when I have the data.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #16
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I don't like watering systems! Too much stuff to go wrong and they can trap hydrodgen and cause an explosion. If you get an explosion, it can make it worse by channeling it to other batteries / cells.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:52 PM   #17
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'll never have one because they are too expensive for what they do. What it saves you ten minutes every two or 3 weeks for only $190.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:01 PM   #18
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Talking Re: Battery watering

Single Point Watering systems (SPW) have flame arrestors in the valves to
prevent propagation through the system. But again, maintenance issues,
scheduled or unscheduled, can sometimes dislodge a hose or end cap, such
that the flame arrestor system is defeated. SPW system benefits far outweigh
the risks related to manual watering. There is less chance for a problem with these watering systems if you use them before charging to make sure the batteries are properly watered and there is residual water in the tube to keep the hydrogen gas under control. The quality of the valve is the key and the system used by EzGo had some initial valve issues. The key to any and all battery issues is maintence. Keep your cables clean and tight and the batteries full of water. With common sense and a little luck we will all survive.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car