lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2021, 06:06 PM   #1
JOEMORF
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2001 Gas EZGO TXT Clutch Sticking And Killing Cart

Hello All,

First post so sorry if I am going about it the wrong way. Just wanted to start off by saying thank you to all in this community, all your post have probably saved me thousands!

Anyways. I have a 2001 EZGO TXT GAS that when driving after the cart is warm it seems as the rear clutch is getting jammed up and then sticking and killing the cart. Then I hear a BUZZING sound when pressing the accelerator. If I manually spin the belt I can get it to reengage, and move a little before getting stuck again.

Anyways I thought I would come here first before I take it to my over priced Golf Cart Repair Shop.

Here is a video of the issue. You can rear the Buzz right at then end of the video before it cut out. Sorry wasn't trying to keep making this happen to hurt the cart.

Thank in advance for any help.

Video Link of issue. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzXW24wPOyo

The issues happens right around 30 secs sorry not a video editor

Thanks Again

JoeMorf

(If anyone is local I'm in Gilbert AZ)
JOEMORF is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2021, 09:52 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 Gas EZGO TXT Clutch Sticking And Killing Cart

I think the trouble is on the engine side. Try it without the belt.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:07 PM   #3
JOEMORF
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Cart Around ill get that a try tonight!
Old 02-16-2021, 01:40 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Kinda sounds like something electrical. Wondering if maybe the rev limiter is cutting the power to the engine somehow. Does it happen if you are only at partial throttle? Or only at max throttle/rpm?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:13 PM   #5
JOEMORF
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So I took off the belt and the issue still happens.

Once it is warm(.5 miles) it seems to happen just pass half and full throttle. Kinda intermittent but not at low low speeds.

Might have to take it into the shop and see what they think.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:56 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Yeah that’s not the clutch. That’s something with the motor bud. It shuts down awfully abruptly.

How fast does the cart go? I’d maybe try and loosen the nut on the governor cable a bit and see if that makes a difference. If the rev limiter is killing it, this may fix it. It won’t be quite as fast but if it doesn’t die then that’s okay
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:52 AM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I have seen the governor spring crushed together much more than his and never shut off. I guess there is a first for anything.

The best I could tell this engine just quit, like it lost firing all of sudden or starter/generator locked up, or engine locked up. Tough one for sure to tell by just listening. Anyone messed with anything on this cart that could have made this start happening ?

Maybe show a video of the S/G area when it does this ?

How much is it charging ? it is cutting off at 14.5 volts ? or going higher ?

You stated this
If I manually spin the belt I can get it to reengage, and move a little before getting stuck again. ?? you mean you can turn the S/G belt and it will go again ?

I did hear that strange noise but really couldn't tell what that was. Like something starting to lock up .

When you remove the clutch drive belt on these you can open it wide open and the rev limiter which is built in ignitor will shut the engine off and on but never completely off. I think it cuts out at around 3700 rpm's .

I would never recommend anyone to do this but that's how they work. At least the ones I have worked on.

I am just guessing because like I said this is a new one for me. I will follow this one for sure.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:17 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post

I am just guessing because like I said this is a new one for me. I will follow this one for sure.
This is very strange for sure. I’d love to know what kills an engine that abruptly. It’s almost like when you hit one of those giant fire ant hills with the mower so hard it shuts the mower off...

CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:23 AM   #9
JOEMORF
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I will shoot another video tonight, in the engine bay, to answer some of the questions above –

- Cart Max speed is around 20 MPH stock everything
- I just had a new engine put in. The engine came from my dads 2001 EZGO (He went to 24HP) the engine was babied its whole life
- I would manually spin the drive belt not the S/G belt so that’s why I thought it was something to do with the clutch and the clutch was abnormally louder than any other EZGO gas cart I have ever owned so I thought that’s where I would start
- To better describe what happens (Once warm or driven about half a mine) at ¾ to full throttle the engine and cart feels like something locks up and the cart comes to a pretty quick stop. Once stopped I pressed the accelerator and I heard that buzzing Nosie almost as if the clutch was stuck and could not turn anything, so I reached in moved the drive belt felt a little give then hit the accelerator again and it engaged and moved the cart (Suggest for about 3 seconds) than seemed drivable hence why I thought it was the clutch at first.

I will film a new video tonight directed at the engine maybe something will stick out. Because of the buzz I am thinking S/G or rev limiter I contacted the shop who I paid for the swap but they are not being very helpful I guess you get what you pay for!

Appreciate all the suggestions!
Old 02-17-2021, 08:53 AM   #10
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am guessing rod is hanging up on the crank shaft...just a bit. It will either throw that rod or lock up soon. My TXT was doing that after the rebuild...ran great for a short distance...end of the neighborhood and back, then act like it was hanging up. Wasn't getting oil to the journal. Never locked up entirely, and could be freed up entirely when cold by hand. If the engine hasn't been apart...maybe the beginnings of a rod bolt coming loose loosing oil pressure at the journal when hot. Thoughts?
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO