lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2021, 08:55 AM   #11
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 Gas EZGO TXT Clutch Sticking And Killing Cart

And if you are running 20 stock, you will be right close to that rev limiter.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2021, 12:40 PM   #12
JOEMORF
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok guys,

Here is what I did.

Cart is in natural in the garage

Shot this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsoc6pUj7v4

Warmed up the cart with choke about 3-4 mins. Once it was warm when I took my foot off the accelerator towards the end of the video and the cart still idles As you can tell engine sounds healthy no clunking

After that shot this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrZcV6upgXM

You can hear the issue start maybe a little knock? It happens with cycling the throttle not only at full throttle and you can hear to buzz in this video. Once it happened I kept my foot on the throttle to hear the buzz then reached in and messed with the drive belt. Could hear it run but hear a louder knock if you will.

Then shot this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-06v5KeHfNY

After issues this video is at full throttle. Can hear knocking

Would love your feedback.

Hope its not an engine knock…..Here we go….
JOEMORF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:21 PM   #13
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEMORF View Post
Ok guys,

Here is what I did.

Cart is in natural in the garage

Shot this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsoc6pUj7v4

Warmed up the cart with choke about 3-4 mins. Once it was warm when I took my foot off the accelerator towards the end of the video and the cart still idles As you can tell engine sounds healthy no clunking

After that shot this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrZcV6upgXM

You can hear the issue start maybe a little knock? It happens with cycling the throttle not only at full throttle and you can hear to buzz in this video. Once it happened I kept my foot on the throttle to hear the buzz then reached in and messed with the drive belt. Could hear it run but hear a louder knock if you will.

Then shot this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-06v5KeHfNY

After issues this video is at full throttle. Can hear knocking

Would love your feedback.

Hope its not an engine knock…..Here we go….
I think this engine is knocking. None of these engines idle and your first video is normal as they all do this when you let off the gas.
Anyway you could see how much oil pressure this engine has ? I don't think much by the sound of it.

I hate to tell you to run it anymore from the sound its making. If you remove the valve cover you would see just how much oil pressure it has because the oil will hit you in the face. Remove the oil fill cap and take a look if you don't feel comfortable removing valve cover. You will see oil when you spin it over if its got good pressure.

When it won't start back grab the drive clutch on the engine and see how hard it is to turn. I am thinking its locking up inside engine. I hope not but to me that engine don't sound good.

Check on the oil pressure. You could get a manual gauge and see exactly how much pressure this engine has. Lets hope for the best
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:47 PM   #14
JOEMORF
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Welp Gents....It's time I sell my tools and have my man card ripped away....(My father would be so pissed)

Removed valve cover like trig123 mentioned to my surprise no oil "Hit me in the face."

Said to myself....You should check the oil level just in case......(Never thought the person doing the engine swap would forget that piece)

Checks Dip stick (zero oil) ((Very little))

Go to AUTO ZONE buy oil fill cart up....BOOM Fixed (Should have been my first stop but figured there was no way the person doing the engine swap would forget to check oil)

Nevertheless, Thank you all for the help. I am going to keep a close eye on the oil levels make sure it is not just BURNING oil at a rapid rate but i doubt it.

Ran the cart for 4 miles @ AVG Speed of 17 MPH no issues yet.

Again, thanks for all the quick replies and i apologize for my bone head mistake!

I just hope no long-term damage was caused during that lets say 2-mile test....
Old 02-17-2021, 05:42 PM   #15
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, I was closest...no oil pressure at the crank journal. Not the reason I suspected though . Glad you figured it out...hope it didn't do too much damage. Time will tell. Good luck!
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:59 PM   #16
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

To be safe... I would personally highly recommend pulling the motor back out (it doesn’t take very long) and pull the side cover off. Put a socket on the rod cap bolts. Make sure they’re torqued.

I say this because that motor was knocking quite badly. I’ve seen and helped a lot of folks privately that tear down these motors and you can remove the rod cap bolts with your fingers. I don’t know WHY they work themselves loose but it seems to be a recurring issue I’ve seen. With as much noise as yours was making, I would double check just for gut check purposes. There’s a good chance that putting oil in it masked the knocking, because now there’s a buffer of fluid. But if there’s a knock, it’s because there is enough play to create a knock. Adding oil won’t fix that. And it can go from a little knock to a broken rod very, very quickly.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:15 PM   #17
JOEMORF
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
To be safe... I would personally highly recommend pulling the motor back out (it doesn’t take very long) and pull the side cover off. Put a socket on the rod cap bolts. Make sure they’re torqued.

I say this because that motor was knocking quite badly. I’ve seen and helped a lot of folks privately that tear down these motors and you can remove the rod cap bolts with your fingers. I don’t know WHY they work themselves loose but it seems to be a recurring issue I’ve seen. With as much noise as yours was making, I would double check just for gut check purposes. There’s a good chance that putting oil in it masked the knocking, because now there’s a buffer of fluid. But if there’s a knock, it’s because there is enough play to create a knock. Adding oil won’t fix that. And it can go from a little knock to a broken rod very, very quickly.

Thanks CP241 my pops is coming in this weekend. I think that's exactly what I'll do!
Old 02-17-2021, 07:51 PM   #18
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEMORF View Post
Thanks CP241 my pops is coming in this weekend. I think that's exactly what I'll do!
If you’re lucky it will just be a couple hours spent drinking beer and you won’t find anything wrong.

Or you’ll find loose cap bolts and save a hell of a lot of work later by tightening them.

Either way I don’t see a down side
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:55 PM   #19
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

In your post number 12 I didn't hear a knock so it had to have some oil in it. When you continued to run it faster I think it was probably running dry.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO