lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
cubrn
Not Yet Wild

Default Building first golf cart need advice

This is my first post and first attempt at building a golf cart. I am gonna get some help from some friends that have built a few. I need advice on what motor to use. I have a 2004 ez go series cart. I have it stripped down to the frame. Had the frame powder coated. Just ordered stretch plastics a-arm lift
and plan on putting 23 inch tires. I am gonna run 48 volts, hd f/r switch, silenoid, 2 gauge wire, either 550-650 amp controller and so on. Here is my question. I plan on riding around neighbor hood but mostly using at my hunting camp. Flat ground, no real hills, but can get kinda muddy. I am thinking about running the Beast motor, I believe its GE 394 or something like that. I know the torque will be plenty but what type of top end speed will I be looking at. I think the raptor is too high of RPM, but would like to get around 20-22 mph. I am open for any suggestions on motor. This is the only thing that has me in a dilemma is what motor to go with. Any suggestions on specifics would be appreciated. I have not purchased any electicral parts yet so I can go any way you guys think. Thanks in advance. Sean
cubrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
killsumptin
Getting Wild

Default Re: Building first golf cart need advice

Electrical Motor Products sells or modifies motors to have two speeds. One for torque and one for speed.

I am thinking of having them refurb and modify my motor if and when it finally takes a dump.
killsumptin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #3
onemorebeer
Gone Wild

Going to piss a few folks off, sorry from the start, I started with Batts from the start, then moved to Gas, Now upgraded to 23 big block, cam and header. I ride trails when camping. Hills, mudd, and everything else I can drive to and anough can's of courage to get me back where I started from. Words cant describe the wow factor of a big block. You can be by yourself or infront of folks you never met. It is still WOW! Out there you cant "plug in" but you can carry a extra can. I have some friends with Batts, great carts, but I cant count how many times I have had to pull them home because they ran out of juice trying to get up that last hill or through that last pit. I would sell the batt cart and go gas, then upgrade. I have done it, save some money now and smile sooner. In my humble opinion.

Don
onemorebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
Carts Zone
Getting Wild

At 48 Volts the d395 torque motor will give 18-20 mph, with lots of torque.
The d392 speed motor would give you around 30 mph and 20% more torque, the d380 wil give you 25mph 20-30% torque. Thats with the setup you stated above. Pick close to the speed you want becausing getting a motor to fast and then riding the cart half pedal is rough on the controller, causes over heating. If you need to go fast and slow look into the 2 speed motor mentioned above. Good Luck God Bless
Carts Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carts Zone View Post
At 48 Volts the d395 torque motor will give 18-20 mph, with lots of torque.
The d392 speed motor would give you around 30 mph and 20% more torque, the d380 wil give you 25mph 20-30% torque. Thats with the setup you stated above. Pick close to the speed you want becausing getting a motor to fast and then riding the cart half pedal is rough on the controller, causes over heating. If you need to go fast and slow look into the 2 speed motor mentioned above. Good Luck God Bless
Welcome to BGW Carts Zone, good to see you here. Carts Zone's place is right up the road from me, he knows his stuff about electric carts.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

I would go with a D&D motor. I have one in the 72 volt Mud Buggie and it's got plenty of torque and has 22 MPH with just me in the cart.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
kyle.malone
Not Yet Wild

Give Electrical motor products a call. They can get you where you want to be. Just ordered one for my 1992 Marathon and a 700 amp controller from Controller Test Services out of CA. Only paid $270 for my series 700 amp.
kyle.malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO