lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #1
aproteau
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question Yamaha Charger Model # SCR481717 Blinking Lights

Hey guys! I have a 2004 Yamaha G27EZ Cool cart. It did not come with a charger. I bought this SCR481717 charger used and I was told it didnt work having 2 lights that come on, Abnormal and Incomplete. It did do this after plugging it into the cart. I left it plugged in most of the day and when I last looked ALL the lights are flashing. Its not clicking or humming. I need this charger to work and would appreciate any and all input. Thanks a bunch! AL
aproteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2015, 03:28 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha Charger Model # SCR481717 Blinking Lights

Too low pack voltage on cart is my first suspicion. The 110v power source is my second suspicion (does other stuff work on that 110v outlet right now). You have a MAC charger that was Yamaha original equipment, and pretty reliable. The lights & board on that charger are activated by the 48v cart power, NOT the presence of 110v house power (something many users cant easily grasp). Does the cart drive/run right now? If you plug that charger into the cart with a dead (non running, low battery voltage) cart, the lights may flash forever. You may just need to boost the dead batteries. Too dead batteries for the automatic charger are any 48v set that is currently below about 34v (automatic charger is not sure it is hooked to the correct type batteries, so wont turn on). I hope its one of these two things, if the control board is bad, its about the same price to just buy a new DPI charger. Dont waste time with the cheap aftermarket replacement board for that charger, its junk & will reduce the life of your batteries (not sure how good the batteries are right now). When working correctly, it is a great 5-stage charger & an innovative golf cart charger design when it was new (like a DPI, but no float charge). If you are unsure, get your voltmeter out (necessary for "fixing your own stuff" on a electric cart), and post your readings from each battery here, so we can help you more effectively. If you end up needing more help diagnosing the charger internals, i will be glad to help, if you are familiar enough to deal with more technical electrical testing.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
aproteau
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks so much for the info CG. The batteries that are in the cart are low but drove the cart around the block a few times before it stopped totally. I have a new set of 48v batteries here that I am going to put in this weekend. I will plug the charger in to them and see what it does and post the out come. I bought the charger from a local shop knowing that it needed something fixed. He said he was getting the incomplete and the abnormal red lights blinking.. Im also going to try a different extension cord to the charger as well.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
Yamahaman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A friend had a problem like yours and he found a corroded battery cable that he had overlooked.
Yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:38 PM   #5
aproteau
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok, so after a bunch of swapping batteries and playing around, I went to the local battery guys and borrowed their charger to jump mine. I hooked up their Stanley all in one charger and then plugged this one into the port. It cycled and and started. I left them both connected for about 1/2 an hour and then disconnected the Stanley. Yamaha charger stayed running and after about 4 hours stopped and the 2 red lights stayed on. Incomplete and Abnormal. I drove the cart for about an hours time over the past few days and I just put the charger back on it. I cycled and turned on for about 1 min and turned off. It did this about 5 times and then stayed on. Its currently connected and is turning on and off.... Im at whits end....
Old 08-06-2015, 04:02 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

If all connections are good for charge wires & plug & socket, starting to sound like a bad control board in charger. Bad news is OEM control board is as much a new DPI charger, and the aftermarket replacement boards are crap...
Old 08-06-2015, 07:29 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I agree with gctech. Tried an aftermarket board once..and only once! You can buy a great DPI charger from site sponsor www.cartsunlimited.com or Amazon.com Just make shure you order it with a MAC dc cord end.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:23 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

DPI calls it the "nabson" plug (nabson originally made it for MAC). And the labels on the boxes i get from DPI also say Nabson 48v on the id sticker. If you get it from ScottyB (www.cartsunlimited.net), and ask for a yamaha 48v plug, you should get what you need.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:02 PM   #9
aproteau
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks again guys for all your input. I sold the cart this morning with the charger. i told the guy it was acting funny but he didnt seem to care....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha