lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2018, 01:33 AM   #1
custom1106
Not Yet Wild

Default 1981 G1...Ford starter solenoid??

Just picked up an 81 G1 electric. As I’m going through cleaning up the wiring today I see what looks like a run of the mill Ford looking starter solenoid mounted in the drivers rear fender liner. The big lugs are each connected to the F1 and F2 terminals of the motor with 10 gauge wiring. One smaller terminal goes to an aftermarket looking push-pull switch by the seat, then goes off to the end of the resistor coil...and the other small terminal is hooked to the negative side of the last battery in the pack. This certainly does not look factory.

So I’m dying to know...what is this setup???
custom1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2018, 06:10 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1981 G1...Ford starter solenoid??

This is if i recall correctly known as a shunt. it changes the characteristics of the motor to give more speed. do not switch it on unless you are already going full speed as you will destroy some expensive parts on your buggy. In my opinion i would remove it all and run the cart standard. If you want more speed do a proper upgrade.

I may be remembering things wrong but i am sure someone will be along to agree or correct my thoughts. LOL

Rereading your description, it looks like it is only fed power once the cart is set at top speed but also can be switched on/off independantly by the switch. i would still remove it if it were mine.

Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:26 AM   #3
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Take a look at my thread from yesterday...

Ezgo Marathon has me puzzled.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...6&share_type=t

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yes, it's Field shunting, also known as "overdrive". It will get you a couple MPH, at the same time generate more heat in the armature. They are Ok, as long as only used on flat ground at full speed.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:02 PM   #5
custom1106
Not Yet Wild

Alright...well that’s now uninstalled!

Thanks for the link and explanation guys, much appreciated!
custom1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha