lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
mjribeiro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Front brakes for DS

Every six months or so I consider putting front brakes on my DS. The very early disc kits turned me off due to price. I don't think I need anything super trick - has anyone priced the parts to install Carryall front drums on a DS?
mjribeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Front brakes for DS

I have owned 2 DS type carts with the 4 wheel front drum brakes from the factory. they were okay but notthing compared to the disc brakes of today.... For the money I would look into 4 wheel disc brakes. I have them on my ezgo and I have seen them on the DS carts too.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
Jake's Golf Carts
Gone Wild

What lift kit do you have on your cart? We now make pre-charged hydraulic front brakes for lifted and non-lifted carts as shown here http://www.jakesliftkits.com/Product...c_lifted.shtml
Jake's Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
mjribeiro
Gone Wild

Club Car

no lift now - would love one of yours, but that and the necessary tires would equal half the cost of the cart. Not that your lifts aren't probably worth it - its just too much for me and the carts use. I'm more likely to get one of the SS lifts some day.

The wheelsca do look like a decent choice at $398 You seem to get billet hub spacers instead of stud extensions.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

OUCH!!! mj...

I know your trying to save money, (as most of us are!)
No offense, but, you shouldn't "dis" one of the leading makers of lift kits!
(especially, when they are one of BGW's newest sponsors!)

And all due respect... I have a Jake's 3" spindle lift on my cart,
My buddy has an All Sports 7.5 SS on his cart, which was installed last winter,
He ran his cart pretty hard, and had some parts break, (which All Sports covered)
however... I was right there with him running hard also... and huh?!?... no problems with mine!

Brakes are the one thing that you really don't want to "skimp" on!
Remember... "You get what you pay for!"

Jake's... Tell Mr. Steve, Thank You for all of the time via phone calls, and e-mails helping me make my final decision!

I just wish my 08 kit was the NEW updated lift, so I could get some disc brakes!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
mjribeiro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Don and Steve -
Sorry if my post sounded anything like vendor bashing. It was not intended to be - in fact I believe I said that I would love to have one of his lifts. That's the truth. I've seen them on carts and they are exactly how you'd want to build one yourself if you could. The only issue I've heard of is with the coil overs (but Jakes doesn't make those). I'm sure they would hold up fine with my yard and street use, but those doing the heavy duty off road stuff may want to plan for an upgrade there.... How my family uses the cart just wouldn't justify me going with the very best long travel lift out there.

Now for the brakes. I don't own either set and have not seen them installed on any cart personally. All of my analysis was done via on line photos - very unscientific.
Both brands use a flat rotor design - probably allows them to use a rotor already made for another (ATV?) application - that's a good thing. Using a flat rotor vs. an automotive hat style rotor creates a need of making offset to allow the caliper to clear the wheel. Wheelsca uses a custom hub which basically spaces the offset of the rotor. Pros and cons to this approach - its a much heavier duty connection but now you have a non standard part in a wearable area. I'm not sure I would ruin it in my lifetime, but some might. Jake gets his offset with new wheel studs that push the rotor back away from a stock hub. Nice to use the stock hub, and the mounting of the rotor at four detached points is probably ok, but a solid adapter of some kind would be better. The one last functional difference appears to be the Jakes brakes are pre-bled. For me, that's a 15 minute one time task so its not really something that would cause me to purchase one over the other, unless all other things, including the price were equal.

That's my arm chair analysis - not intended to bash anyone. Both setups have their benefits and differences. Are their any installers or shop owners here that could provide a first hand account of both systems?

and no, you 'don't always get what you pay for'. We should start using 'you never get more than you pay for'. hahaha!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car