lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
neub7
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 coil problems. please help!

I have a 96 club car with serial #AG9639. It will run till it gets warm and then not have spark for a half hour or so. From what I understand there are 2 different coils in the 96 carts. A pre 96 one, and a 97 and after one. Is there any way for me to know what coil I have before I tear mine apart. I will have to order one, and I can still use my cart for short trips until it arrives. Thanks in advance for any help.
neub7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 96 coil problems. please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neub7 View Post
I have a 96 club car with serial #AG9639. It will run till it gets warm and then not have spark for a half hour or so. From what I understand there are 2 different coils in the 96 carts. A pre 96 one, and a 97 and after one. Is there any way for me to know what coil I have before I tear mine apart. I will have to order one, and I can still use my cart for short trips until it arrives. Thanks in advance for any help.
The earlier 96 CC's have a seperate igniter and coil. The igniter is behind the RPM limiter Neub, later versions have a combination unit mounted in the flywheel housing.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

under the carb in about the center of the engine there is a black box which is the rpm limitor its held on by a metel bracket with 2 10mm bolts on that same bracket on the backside is where the ignitor will be mounted if its an early 96 its just a real small square box with a single wire plugged to it.......if you have the later 96 then the ignitor is built into the coil and it will not be on the backside of the bracket that holds the limitor on......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
neub7
Not Yet Wild

First of all, thanks for the help. I found the box at the bottom of the motor. It has 2 wires coming out of the bottom of it and appears to have a wire, possibly a ground, attached to the back. The two wires coming out of the bottom are brown and black, and the back wire is black. I am completely clueless when it comes to golf cart motors. I have been told it is the coil, it is the rev limiter, and\or the ignitor by different people. I am mechanically inclined, and can change whatever needs changed, I just don't know where to start. Sorry for being a noob, but I need some advice here. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
neub7
Not Yet Wild

O.K. I just decided to bite the bullet and remove the rev limiter. Not as bad a job as i thought it'd be. I have no ignitor behind the rev limiter. Just another wire with a round connector coming from above. I assume this means i have a newer setup. Where do i start? What should I replace first, the rev limiter or the coil\ignitor? Which is the more likely culprit? Where is the best place to order these parts online? Once again, Thanks a ton!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
O.K. I just decided to bite the bullet and remove the rev limiter. Not as bad a job as i thought it'd be. I have no ignitor behind the rev limiter. Just another wire with a round connector coming from above. I assume this means i have a newer setup. Where do i start? What should I replace first, the rev limiter or the coil\ignitor? Which is the more likely culprit? Where is the best place to order these parts online? Once again, Thanks a ton!
You can eliminate the RPM limiter as the culprit by disconnecting the ground wire. If the cart runs ok then you know where the issue lies. If that doesn't work then it's almost certainly going to be the coil / igniter going bad. We have had many a discussion on here about this and sadly it seems that even though the unit will scope out perfectly well it still has an issue and the only thing to do is replace it. Our sponsors carry them or I can get you one if you get stuck for around $60. I did a write up on changing one out a while back so you might want to check back on some of my posts but it's really not that bad of a job. The muffler needs to come off followed by the Outer fan shroud. The shroud has some sneaky bolt placements but you'll find em. after that it's just a matter of unbolting the unit from the outer flywheel housing, undo the wiring and bolt the new one in. First one I did took two hours. I can do it in under 20 minutes now. If you need a newRPM limiter I have several and can get you one cheaply. Handy safety system if your children or others ride the cart.
Let us know how it goes and good luck.

Chris.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
neub7
Not Yet Wild

ok, unhooked the rpm limiter ground wire, and ran it for about 15 mins and no problems. The only question now is, it didn't seem to go faster. I assumed that if you unhooked the rpm limiter it would speed up the cart. I unhooked it and wrapped it with electrical tape real well.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
ok, unhooked the rpm limiter ground wire, and ran it for about 15 mins and no problems. The only question now is, it didn't seem to go faster. I assumed that if you unhooked the rpm limiter it would speed up the cart. I unhooked it and wrapped it with electrical tape real well.
Is the running issue sorted out ?
Old 08-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
jace1975
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm wondering if the 96's have a governor as well. That would explain the lack of speed gain. Appears to show a governor linkage in the transmission breakdown I looked at in the sticky's.

Jason
jace1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
neub7
Not Yet Wild

so can I just leave the limiter unhooked or should I get a new one? If it has a govenor also, why do I need a limiter?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car