lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
wooly15
Gone Wild

Default 15 amp charging

Ok, I couldnt get an answer in the clone section, so maybe you guys can help. I'm looking at picking up the Lifan clone that comes with a 15 amp charging system. I know the stock starter/gen is 25 amps, but would 15 be enough to maintain my 12v system? I'm only running headlights, tail lights, and a horn.
wooly15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 15 amp charging

i don,t understand what you mean? what is going to be 15 amps? is it a battery maintainer or something? explain exactly what your talking about ok i just read your other thread but i still don,t follow you i mean if you want to dump a bigger motor in it you can put in whatever you want that will fit and work with your rear axle ......i know guys running 30 hp motors what i don,t follow is this amp thing.................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
wooly15
Gone Wild

According to lifan's website, their clone 15 hp motor comes with a 15amp charging system. Is that system enough keep my battery Charged? Or is it only able to be used for the electric starting ? What i'm getting at, is if this charging system can charge my battery, I don't plan on trying to mount the original starter/gen.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
ecrouse
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

You'll probably be ok but knowing for sure depends on several factors.

First, there's the amp draw of your electrical accessories. If you have an amp meter you can figure out what kind of amp draw you are putting on your battery and as long as it doesn't exceed about 10 amps, 15 amps charging should be fine.

If you don't have an amp meter you can figure out the draw pretty close using the wattage of the bulbs and the formula amps=watts/volts. If they are 35w headlights and you are at 12V that is 35w/12v=2.91a per headlight or about 6 amps for the headlights. Do that for your other lights as well. Also consider how often you will be using lights. If mostly daytime driving then 15a is plenty to keep the battery charged.

Second thing is, are you going to go with key start or pedal start. Pedal start works the battery harder because you're starting the cart more often and therefore using more juice, also when it's not running it's not charging but you may still have the lights on. With a lesser charging capacity I'd go with key start if it was me. You won't get the full 15A at idle but you'll get something.

I have a Yamaha Grizzly 660 that charges at 18A. It runs headlights, tails and an additional spot I added with no issues for what that's worth.

Oh, and make sure you have a voltage regulator for charging, otherwise you may overcharge and burn up the battery pretty quickly. Dunno if the lifan has one built in or not but you definitely need one.
ecrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
wooly15
Gone Wild

I really appreciate it. 90% of my driving will be during the day so I guess I should be fine. I do plan on going with the key start. Also, good tip on the over charging...I will definitely get a voltage regulator.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

15 amps should suffice since it shouldn,t be charged anything over 15.7 amps......and 13.9 is approx the normal.......but if this is only a 15 hp motor why? your not gonna gain a whole lot when you figure stock speed is 12 to 14 mph if 15 hp gets you to 17 mph i would be surprised.......if you want 20 mph or better you should go 25 hp or better.............but in the end what your putting in should work...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
ecrouse
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Shadoman, I think you are confusing amps with volts.

Agreed that you aren't going to get much more out of that motor but from his other thread it sounds like he's going with a less expensive motor and selling the brand new FE350 so he'll have extra cash for other mods.

Sounds like a headache to me but I like easy :)
ecrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
wooly15
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrouse View Post
Shadoman, I think you are confusing amps with volts.

Agreed that you aren't going to get much more out of that motor but from his other thread it sounds like he's going with a less expensive motor and selling the brand new FE350 so he'll have extra cash for other mods.

Sounds like a headache to me but I like easy :)
You are correct...If I stayed with the 350, there would be no $$ for mod's. And since I'm not really looking for a record setter, top speed isn't really a concern for me.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car