lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
shaneberg
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default cart wont start

on weekend at lake on 3 different occations my cart would not start initially but eventually it did tben it would not start at all so i put an igniter in it and fired right up then again on 3 of 4 ocations it did not fire right away but again it eventially did then it stopped starting this happend only a few day after changing igniter any ideas?
shaneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: cart wont start

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneberg View Post
on weekend at lake on 3 different occations my cart would not start initially but eventually it did tben it would not start at all so i put an igniter in it and fired right up then again on 3 of 4 ocations it did not fire right away but again it eventially did then it stopped starting this happend only a few day after changing igniter any ideas?
What year and model Shane ? I'm guessing 96 and back since you mention igniter only. Does the engine even try to spin ? Any chuffing or backfiring when you try to start her ? The more information you can provide the quicker it will be to diagnose your exact issue.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
shaneberg
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

yes it spins over i put my spark checker on and i have no spark its a 93 some other usfull info i do not have a rpm limiter it was not on it when i bought cart. cart was a project, so i by passed limiter connected wire that would have hooked up to limiter and ran it to the igniter it ran for 2 years hard like that with no problems
Old 09-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

No spark = bad micro, coil, igniter or rpm limiter.

Chris.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Any time I troubleshoot electrical issues I start right in the middle of a circuit, that way you cover or eliminate 50% of a circuit with one test.
Remove the harness kill wire from the engine to determine if you have a cart/harness issue or a engine problem.
This engine only needs flywheel, coil and ignitor to produce spark. Everything else on the circuit is just to ground it to stop and rev limitor to control RPMs.
Once the wire is unplugged and if the problem continues I would look at plug boot, coil/flywheel air gap, shorted wire from ignitor to coil. If not there then coil or ignitor bad.
Don't overlook the plug boot, remove it and clip 1/2" off the wire and reinstall.

If the problem stops with wire unplugged then you have a issue with the cart, micro or switch, shorted/grounded wire in the kill circuit.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
shaneberg
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

i disconnected the kill wire still have problem and juging how it acted before i replace the ignitor and it did same thing i looks like my ignitor went to heck my question is what can cause the ignitor to fail so quickly cant the coil on the flywheel cause an ignitor to fail ?
Old 09-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneberg View Post
i disconnected the kill wire still have problem and juging how it acted before i replace the ignitor and it did same thing i looks like my ignitor went to heck my question is what can cause the ignitor to fail so quickly cant the coil on the flywheel cause an ignitor to fail ?

Sadly Shane, these things are fickle. It's entirely possible that you purchased a bad igniter. The flywheel just has a magnet that causes a flux change in the coil to initiate the spark. The igniter is nothing more than a capacitor that boosts the voltage to the coil and then to the plug via the wire and cap. I have no idea what could have caused your igniter to fail so quickly but it happens.
Sorry I can't offer more profundity.

Chris.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
crash12888
Gone Crazy

If you have an old weedeater or blower or chainsaw laying around or john Deere lawn tractor, They all have external ignitors on them you could use to test or leave on.

Try this on for size;

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...r-20-00-a.html
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car