lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
BurbanLimo
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Converting from G1 motor to V Twin Motor

Ok, I know I am new here and this might sound like a stupid question, but how on earth are you guys putting the V twin motors in? I am sure I am missing something. Please explain if possible and GO SLOW. I just bought an 80's something 6 seater G1 (vin # to follow later). The motor needs to either get rebuilt or replaced. I have a 13 hp motor with electric start sitting here, but didn't know that you could put these kinds of motors in the carts, but then I saw some of the guys here have done it. Can you please lead me in some direction? Thanks
BurbanLimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
shawn.m
Gone Wild

Default Re: Converting from G1 motor to V Twin Motor

if you put it in a g1 you will lose reverse.
shawn.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #3
BurbanLimo
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

That's kinda what I thought, but what about putting a hydromatic transmission from a tractor/mower on the cart to use one of those motors and still keep your reverse? Have you heard of this? Thanks for replying so fast.
BurbanLimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Superficially, I think a 13hp motor might be a little weak to run the pump and the cart??
Although, I like the idea I think it would be the first hydro cart?
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:00 AM   #5
maddog
Not Yet Wild

That would be kind of a kool setup.
maddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
dwmmatt23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

you figure out reverse let me know so i can have it on my 65hp, pain without reverse but who needs it going straight fassst. ive heard swapping out a newer rear end with reverse in it is pretty doable but havent found anybody that has tried it. i have a golf cart junk yard here in town and am thinking about seeing how much i can pick up a rear end for and trying myself
dwmmatt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
gpetruska77
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Hello all, I know its possible to have rev in cart. my friend installed a liquid cooled 800cc snowmobile motor(yamaha) in his cart he used rev out of sled. he said he would never do it again.(lot of fabwork) also his cart had gas in it so the belt drive ran rear end. on the plus side it goes 50+mph if u can hang on. i never topped it out to scared. neither has he.
gpetruska77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
dwmmatt23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpetruska77 View Post
Hello all, I know its possible to have rev in cart. my friend installed a liquid cooled 800cc snowmobile motor(yamaha) in his cart he used rev out of sled. he said he would never do it again.(lot of fabwork) also his cart had gas in it so the belt drive ran rear end. on the plus side it goes 50+mph if u can hang on. i never topped it out to scared. neither has he.
yea but were talking about a g1 which gets reverse form the motor running in reverse direction, so if he had reverse in a g1 his motor would of had to run in both directions. i have heard of it in some smaller bravo engines but nothing that big
dwmmatt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

I have a gearcase with reverse gear on my Polaris sled. This was before they made the electronic reverse which has been on Golf Carts since the early 80's??
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
turquoisterror
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I am working on swapping a rear end with reverse into a G1 right now, and I have a 14 horse briggs I will be putting in the cart. So far the rear end is mounted and looks like it will work. I thought about going the sled route with reverse on the sled, but it looked like a lot of work. I had to make adapter plates and use some ubolts around the frame to mount the new rear, but it wasn't difficult. Once I prove out if it works I may weld it in. If you are looking for a rear end www.***********.com has them listed on their site.
turquoisterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha