lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2020, 09:10 PM   #1
csullivan
Not Yet Wild

Default Given an 85. Very slow top speed, no drive or driven clutch movement

Hi all. My parents have retired and have dumped all their old crap on their kids. Since I'm the one that "can fix things" I've gotten anything with a motor or engine, including an 85 club car that didn't start.

After a little troubleshooting, I replaced the micro switches actuated by the gas pedal and it fires. And drives.

SLOWLY.

I jacked the rear end up and gave it throttle. Neither the primary or driven clutches do anything at all, both sit in the same position regardless of engine RPM.

Belt looks good, OEM belt in good shape. It seems really tight though. In my brief reading I kept seeing to just roll it off the secondary. That's not happening.

Any ideas? Any way to "persuade" either clutch or am I just looking at a replacement for both? If so, do I have any options other than OEM? They seem hard to find. If I'm replacing both, does that open up other options?

Thanks in advance. Really want to get this thing running right. I have a list of other fixes that need doing, but if I can't get the thing past a brisk walking speed I'm stuck.
csullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2020, 06:00 AM   #2
anthonyjcworley
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Given an 85. Very slow top speed, no drive or driven clutch movement

Your clutch weights might be stuck

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
anthonyjcworley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:48 PM   #3
csullivan
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Given an 85. Very slow top speed, no drive or driven clutch movement

I think that's going to be the case as I can't seem to get either to move by hand.

Can I upgrade to a later model clutch if I swap out both the drive and driven assemblies? What's an easily obtained replacement?
Old 06-10-2020, 03:23 PM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Yes! You can (and my opinion, should) upgrade your stock clutches on your '85 to the 1988-up style clutches. The clutch design that was used on the 1984-1987 Club Cars was terrible, especially if you plan to lift it and run larger tires. The newer clutches are a direct replacement.

I'm sort of a clutch nerd for Club Car stock clutches. Here's my thread explaining a little bit I've learned about them:

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=134358
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:05 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Very likely the primary clutch is stuck.
Good time to upgrade both as they said. The clutches have to work as a pair, and no point having a worn out secondary with a brand new primary.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:24 PM   #6
Harleylife13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Yes! You can (and my opinion, should) upgrade your stock clutches on your '85 to the 1988-up style clutches. The clutch design that was used on the 1984-1987 Club Cars was terrible, especially if you plan to lift it and run larger tires. The newer clutches are a direct replacement.

I'm sort of a clutch nerd for Club Car stock clutches. Here's my thread explaining a little bit I've learned about them:

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=134358
Is it possible to use a 97& up drive clutch and a factory 1984 driven clutch on a 1984 ds with the factory kf82
Harleylife13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:39 AM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleylife13 View Post
Is it possible to use a 97& up drive clutch and a factory 1984 driven clutch on a 1984 ds with the factory kf82
Yes. The Club Car drive clutch is non-directional.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:47 PM   #8
csullivan
Not Yet Wild

Yup. That’s exactly what I did once I convinced the old frozen clutches to come off. Works like a champ.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:01 AM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Awesome!

Tags
clutch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car