lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2020, 01:28 PM   #11
bigkahuna75
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2003 Club Car - first time buyer - what do I need to know?

Thank you guys! I got the starter out and I could turn it by hand but it felt a little crunchy and wasn't easily turning.

Took off the brush covers and (see photos).

More pics coming once I open it up.
bigkahuna75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2020, 01:53 PM   #12
bigkahuna75
Not Yet Wild

Soooo....yeah I'll need a new starter.

Would there be anything else wrong with my cart that would cause this? Really don't want to install a new starter and kill it like this again. Did something break off and then cause it to seize? Crazy how much heat there was after and how melted/tore up it is.

This was a golf course cart so I'm guessing it didn't normally do 2-3 miles in a straight shot like I did yesterday. Just too much for an old starter generator?

Found some OEM starters for about $365 with free shipping. Anyplace to get them cheaper?

Buggies Unlimited is selling a AMD Nidec version that has really good reviews (another forum member mentioned them in another post) for $235 with free shipping.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:56 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

By chance does that have a sticker on the housing somewhere that says dynamo?

That looks awfully clean and new to be OEM. I'm thinking someone already put in a $100 unit. Those brushes arent even worn in yet. And if so, looks to have lasted about as long as those $100 units generally last. A month, if you're lucky.

Get one from david at revolution and never worry about it again. It will probably outlast the cart at this point.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:59 AM   #14
bigkahuna75
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
By chance does that have a sticker on the housing somewhere that says dynamo?

That looks awfully clean and new to be OEM. I'm thinking someone already put in a $100 unit. Those brushes arent even worn in yet. And if so, looks to have lasted about as long as those $100 units generally last. A month, if you're lucky.

Get one from david at revolution and never worry about it again. It will probably outlast the cart at this point.
Didn't find any label or sticker on it anywhere. Still wondering if there would be another issue that would cause such as catastrophic failure like that (aside from the possibility it's just a cheap replacement).

Would an over tight belt or high revving cause it or a bad voltage regulator or bad ground? It almost looks like something broke off inside that then caused all the damage.

I did do the zip tie mod but didn't max it out or anything.

Should I also replace the belts and voltage regulator at the same time as replacing the start just to be careful nothing else is wrong?
Old 07-19-2020, 08:05 AM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Nope. If it was a good one it would say club car on the label. And most of the carts I've had have Hitachi branded starter/generator.

If there's no labeling st all, its just a junk starter. Get an OEM unit and leave everything else alone. Search around here and you'll find other pictures similar to yours of brand new starter/generators doing the same thing. The aftermarket units are junk. You can tell that one is brand new too, the brushes have virtually no wear on them at all. They're still square at the ends.

I have not tried the AMD part so I cant say anything good or bad about it.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:50 AM   #16
bigkahuna75
Not Yet Wild

Got the OEM starter ordered! I wonder if this could have also been the cause of the slow/delayed start I was having.

Going to put a new carb on as well and new brakes while I've got it in the garage.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:45 AM   #17
bigkahuna75
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Nope. If it was a good one it would say club car on the label. And most of the carts I've had have Hitachi branded starter/generator.

If there's no labeling st all, its just a junk starter. Get an OEM unit and leave everything else alone. Search around here and you'll find other pictures similar to yours of brand new starter/generators doing the same thing. The aftermarket units are junk. You can tell that one is brand new too, the brushes have virtually no wear on them at all. They're still square at the ends.

I have not tried the AMD part so I cant say anything good or bad about it.
I got the stock starter and was installing it - the yellow wire goes to DF correct? And the larger white wire goes to F2? The layout on the new starter was different than the old one.

Other question - the starter belt seems to be flat on one side and more v shaped on the other - it seems like it was previously installed with the flat side down which seemed weird. Wouldn't the side that has the narrower V go in the wheel?

Both belts looks pretty worn so I ordered a new starter belt and drive belt from Buggies Unlimited. Drive belt had lots of visible cracks.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #18
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Good luck with the BU belts. They're not good quality and probably wont last long. I was in a punch to get a cart running once and since they're like an hour and a half away, next day delivery was the fastest I could get it up and going. The belt didnt make it but 5 miles before a cord broke internally, and it flipped itself inside out. It was never "right" again and would immediately flip itself inside out so I put the nasty old cracked one on until I got an OEM. Most aftermarket belts are also too wide and dont sit right in the pulley.

It sounds like you've got the wiring right off the top of my head, but CW and CCW engines vary slightly. Just make sure it spins the right direction and you'll be good. If not just reverse it, wont hurt the starter/generator they're made to go both directions to accommodate either engine.

And yes, the "V" should go inside the pulley with the flat side out.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #19
bigkahuna75
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Good luck with the BU belts. They're not good quality and probably wont last long. I was in a punch to get a cart running once and since they're like an hour and a half away, next day delivery was the fastest I could get it up and going. The belt didnt make it but 5 miles before a cord broke internally, and it flipped itself inside out. It was never "right" again and would immediately flip itself inside out so I put the nasty old cracked one on until I got an OEM. Most aftermarket belts are also too wide and dont sit right in the pulley.

It sounds like you've got the wiring right off the top of my head, but CW and CCW engines vary slightly. Just make sure it spins the right direction and you'll be good. If not just reverse it, wont hurt the starter/generator they're made to go both directions to accommodate either engine.

And yes, the "V" should go inside the pulley with the flat side out.
Ok good to know - I canceled my order for the belts. Is there someone who sells a better belt that you'd recommend? It is worth going to a more heavy duty carts parts plus belt?

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/severe-...ch=belt&page=2
Old 07-24-2020, 01:55 PM   #20
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Not sure where you're located or how soon you need them. But if theres a club car dealer nearby I'd just get it from them. If not www.revolutiongolfcars.com david is a great guy and he will sell OEM belts, not junk.

Tags
gas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car