lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
diesel_farmer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G1 Not Running - Help!

I searched the forum and didn't find any posts on point.

Recently purchased a G1 gas. Have good spark with new spark plug, gas up to the carb, but will not fire. It turns over fine, but no fire. After turning over for 10-15 seconds, it kicks some air (or something) out - appears as though it's coming out of a hose off of the carb. Any thoughts on what I might look at to get it going? Thanks.
diesel_farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
diesel_farmer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Not Running - Help!

Only 30 psi of compression. I think I need a rebuild.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
Just Ducky
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Smile Re: G1 Not Running - Help!

Hey Diesel Farmer, how's it going? It sounds as though some engine work is in your future. How about some pictures of your cart and keep us up to date on the rebuild.
Just Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
diesel_farmer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Ducky View Post
Hey Diesel Farmer, how's it going? It sounds as though some engine work is in your future. How about some pictures of your cart and keep us up to date on the rebuild.
I only have 30 lbs of compression. I am guessing that the valve is stuck open which is why I am not getting compression. I need to find a service manual to see if I figure out how to get to the valve. Supposedly the motor was rebuilt a couple of years ago. I was told that it ran fine and then all of the sudden started missing. They played with the plug wire and pulled it out of the coil. I cut off the plug wire and screwed it back into the coil and put in a new spark plug and it appears to have good spark. But I have gas up to the carb and it doesn't want to fire. Appears to be backfiring - after it's turned over for 10-15 seconds it starts spitting air back out of the carb. Any more thoughts before I try to disassemble it? Thanks.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
Just Ducky
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Arrow Re: G1 Not Running - Help!

I hope someone has some good advice on this particular. Have you read the stickies at the top of the Gas Yamaha area yet? There is some good material there. I'll be in your shoes soon as I try to figure out exactly what's wrong with my G1.
Just Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
2HawkFans
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Did you put a little oil into the cylinder before your compression test? That will help a little to make sure the rings are sealing. If it's truly a G1 with the stock 2 stroke it isn't a valve issue.
2HawkFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
diesel_farmer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Ok, I am back working on my G1. The armature went out of the starter so I had it rebuilt. With and without the muffler on I get 40 psi compression in forward and 30 psi compression in reverse. I did shoot some oil in the cylinder to seal it. Any other thoughts before I dismantle for a rebuild? Also, do I probably need a manual to do a rebuild or are there some good threads on engine disassemble/rebuild?

BTW, I was told when I bought it that the engine was recently rebuilt and that it was running fine and just all of the sudden stopped running.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Just grabbin at a few straws here: Blown head gasket, maybe. Stuck rings-maybe shoot a little ether into it, just to get it running and warmed up. Marvel Mystery oil overnight in cylinder if rings stuck. With 30-40 PSI doesn't look real good for you. If it was actually rebuilt recently, may only be rings, piston, cylinder issue. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
diesel_farmer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the thoughts. What is the little hose sticking out of the back of the engine just below the carb? It wants to kick out air/oil? when I turn it over.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
kaublr
Not Yet Wild

that little hose is the pulse line that runs the fuel pump, needs to be attached to fill the card float bowl
kaublr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha