lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
czazzara
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Switching to synthetic oil on '98 G16

Hiya,

Did a fast search but didn't see any discussion about this, so...

Just picked up a well used but apparently in nice shape G16 cart and I'm wondering if switching to synthetic oil at this stage of the engines life is a good idea.

The cart runs great and appears to have been maintained, any thoughts?

Chris
czazzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Switching to synthetic oil on '98 G16

I use Mobil 1 10w-30. Oil is cheap.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
czazzara
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Understood, I know that oil is cheap. However, my concern is more for the change to synthetic after so many years of running regular oil. That's the basis for my question.

Chris
czazzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

If it doesn't leak or burn oil, I don't think you will have a problem with changing to a synthetic.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Should not matter, but synthetic is a little thinner so it will burn faster if the engine burns oil in my experience. I ran synthetic in my G9 since I bought it in '99 from a golf course trade in. It is a '91 cart. This year it is starting to burn oil a little if I sit there and rev on it when hot I can just see it. Putting a clone in it anyway because the last couple years it will lose power when hot, like if you ride hard then go slow up a hill/etc it will act funny. This cart was used mostly on weekends in the summer, did a lot of trail riding on it for many years and its getting tired. It never burned a drop until last year or so. It's sister cart bought at same time I put a clone in last year, it was used a little more and was blowing oil badly before the clone went in, but still ran fine, it used regular oil. That cart had the governor turned all the way up, mine I took it off when I got it and always wind it out near every time I run it but I don't hold it there for long. They both have 22s on them and were lifted in '99.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

I ran 10w30 in my 350 engine in my boat until last year. Boats a 1999. When I did the oil change, I switched to synthetic. Now, I get my low oil engine light and alarm coming on when the engine is in idle for more than a minute. The oil level is good, however, because its so much thinner in viscosity, it makes the engine think its low. I'll be switching back to normal oil next year.
stuff4mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I had the same thing in a turbo car, it is likely your oil pump is worn. That turbo car was known to lose oil pressure only at idle when it had miles on it, because the pump was getting bad. I had to swap to regular oil and the pressure came up. But it is an unmarked gauge so I don't know what the pressure really was. The last synthetic I used STP with it lol. It is thinner, part of why it makes a little more power. Same reason new cars are using 5w oil to get more mpg/power.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha