lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
daveswaves
Getting Wild

Default starter/generator G1

Some help from the DC motor guru's please. It appears that the unit is wired as a series field/armature. However it looks like the field current is opposite to the Armature current. Is this so and if it is could you not get more starting torque by having F1 connected to A2 for forward and F1 connected to A1 for reverse??
Are they worried about no load over speed? All thoughts and comments welcome.
daveswaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
technoid
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: starter/generator G1

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswaves View Post
Some help from the DC motor guru's please. It appears that the unit is wired as a series field/armature. However it looks like the field current is opposite to the Armature current. Is this so and if it is could you not get more starting torque by having F1 connected to A2 for forward and F1 connected to A1 for reverse??
Are they worried about no load over speed? All thoughts and comments welcome.
I looked at the G1 wiring diagram. The field is not in series with the armature. If you changed the wiring like you said then you would only have a series wound starter. It would no longer work as a generator. And since its not made to work that way you could damage the unit.
technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

People run v-twins with these generators, I put in a 16hp clone and it starts just fine. I doubt they could be wired differently but I didn't investigate.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
daveswaves
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
I looked at the G1 wiring diagram. The field is not in series with the armature. If you changed the wiring like you said then you would only have a series wound starter. It would no longer work as a generator. And since its not made to work that way you could damage the unit.
If it is not in series then it must be a shunt and it would not have the guts to start. Shunt wound likes to run at a constant speed. Pretty sure my schematic shows it series, from bat plus, through the field winding, through the armature winding via the selected relay, out of the armature to bat minus. I will do more digging. Not trying to re invent the wheel but I would like to replace the forward reverse function with a cowl mounted battery select switch and rewire the start function with a single solenoid. I would prefer a simple key switch with the gas pedal engaging the solenoid. The battery switch would select forward or reverse.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I'm not sure why you would bother changing it, but the G9 manual says shunt coil for charging and series coil for starting. 0.6Kw starting output. This is G9, I would guess the G1 is similar except it runs both directions.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
daveswaves
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
I'm not sure why you would bother changing it, but the G9 manual says shunt coil for charging and series coil for starting. 0.6Kw starting output. This is G9, I would guess the G1 is similar except it runs both directions.
Thanks, Im not sure I will change it yet either. I have trouble reaching forward while sitting due to back surgery and fusion. It just seems natural to reach down with my right hand and select forward or reverse then hit the pedal. I will only have to reach forward for the ignition switch once.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:46 AM   #7
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

To go forward, turn key clockwise. To go reverse, turn key counter clockwise. Is that difficult even with your situation? Just asking.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
daveswaves
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by worqhors View Post
To go forward, turn key clockwise. To go reverse, turn key counter clockwise. Is that difficult even with your situation? Just asking.
Its Ok. I understand how to change it from forward to reverse and back again. Maybe I will just move the dash controls completely to the rear cowl. In my case I am rodded and fused from my butt to the base of my neck. I do not twist or bend, I lean, shuffle my butt, and kneel to get at stuff. To back up I need to sit almost sideways in order to see behind me. With one hand on the steering wheel and the other over the back of the seat its just awkward to reach the key again.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The G2/9 have the key next to the shifter under the seat, maybe it would be best to just move it there? G2/9 have no controls in front at all, the key/shifter/choke are all under seat front in center. I put my light switch there too but I have bumped it and turned the lights on, I put a lighted rocker switch because another guy had a toggle switch broken off there. Most of the time little kids kick it on if that happens so I might move that up front. Wow, and I thought my back hurt from an old injury you must have been through some fun with that deal. Back problems just plain suck you can't do much without it. Another option might be to figure out how to mount the key up high behind the steering wheel, or part way up the column.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
daveswaves
Getting Wild

Yup there are days for sure. I like the idea of going the G2/G9 route. Hope to get working on the cart again this week.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha