lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Clutch question on an '07 "Drive"

Hello all, I am a fairly recent owner of a Yammy YDRA, and I'm looking to make some performance enhancements. I first noticed that the engine seems to rev a bit higher than what it should, but the buggie does it's factory speed of 15 MPH. After some testing, I realized that the belt is worn (7/8 " wide), and it was not rising to the top of the primary clutch at full RPM (which makes sense since the governer is controlled by transaxle input RPM, and not engine RPM). I also noticed that both the primary and secondary clutches have wear ridges in them. Then I did something a bit dumb. I was checking the movement of the secondary, by putting a tire iron in the middle of the pully and twisting. Well, I managed to poke a small hole through the moveable piece, and it looks to be no more than 1/8th" thick. So My questions are:

Is this the normal wall thickness for the clutch, or is it past time for replacement?

Most of the parts supplier places I've been looking at stock clutch sets for up to G22's. Is the secondary clutch on the G29 compatible with a G22 or earlier clutch?

I can only assume that the primary is probably about shot too. Is this a tough part to remove (I read somewhere about a special tool for the clutch), or is that for dissassembly?

I'll stop now. I'm sure I'll have other questions as this project progresses.

Thanks!
Dave
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Clutch question on an '07 "Drive"

Call Plowmans and they can take care of the clutch issues.
http://www.plowmanscarts.com/
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I've been on Plowman's site and his clutch kit prices usually quote rebuilding your existing secondary. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a new one, so I've been doing a some price shopping. That's why I want to know if an older G22 secondary is compatible, as the older ones are much more available (and usually cheaper).
Old 01-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

A G22 style primary clutch will work on your YDRA, but not the secondary.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
A G22 style primary clutch will work on your YDRA, but not the secondary.
RATS!

Thanks though, this is what I needed to know.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I think The 2012 and up have a need designed clutch that is similar to the old style secondary but comes off in one piece.

I looked at a 2013 FI cart and it had a helix style spring seat.

Smallblock can you confirm this?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig tn View Post
I think The 2012 and up have a need designed clutch that is similar to the old style secondary but comes off in one piece.

I looked at a 2013 FI cart and it had a helix style spring seat.

Smallblock can you confirm this?
Yes, in 2012 Yamaha changed to new greasable (better) primary and secondary clutchs The primary is very simular to a G2 3 weight link style clutch (but still doesn't have a return spring). The secondary is one peice assy. There is a man/company that has helped Yamaha correct the 2007 to 2011 clutch problems emensly (Glen Erlandson www.erlandersontechnology.com), He is a clutch "WIZARD"! Just talking to him is a pleasure. Tom @ Cartpartsplus hooked me up with him after Tom learned Yamaha asked Glen to help. So now there are some really nice options to help the YDRA primary and secondary clutchs work as they should. Sorry Sandbagger for not mentioning this earlier, but it sounded like your sheaves are worn thru and need replacing and didn't want to give you the bad news. I have my limits for bad news. If you have more questions please ask, I'll be as honest in price and performance as I can.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Yes, in 2012 Yamaha changed to new greasable (better) primary and secondary clutchs The primary is very simular to a G2 3 weight link style clutch (but still doesn't have a return spring). The secondary is one peice assy. There is a man/company that has helped Yamaha correct the 2007 to 2011 clutch problems emensly (Glen Erlandson www.erlandersontechnology.com), He is a clutch "WIZARD"! Just talking to him is a pleasure. Tom @ Cartpartsplus hooked me up with him after Tom learned Yamaha asked Glen to help. So now there are some really nice options to help the YDRA primary and secondary clutchs work as they should. Sorry Sandbagger for not mentioning this earlier, but it sounded like your sheaves are worn thru and need replacing and didn't want to give you the bad news. I have my limits for bad news. If you have more questions please ask, I'll be as honest in price and performance as I can.
Will the 2012 secondary work on the older carts?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

The new secondary clutch will bolt up to all "The Drive/YDRA" Team transaxles. I do not know witch belt would be needed (the new clutch set up calls for the older J55 drive belt and the old Team set up calls for a JW1) to work with an updated secondary and stock primary.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
When I was able to poke a hole through the movable sheeve, by just lightly twisting a pry bar, I knew the surface had been worn pretty thin. I trust that a new clutch has a wall thickness that's greater than 3/32'nds". At least the secondary is the cheaper of the 2 clutches.

Actually the two clutches appeared to work fairly well, although the belt never made it to the top of the primary at full RPM, which I attributed to the worn belt (7/8th" wide).

Looks like I have some work to do......

BTW, the link to Glen's site doesn't work.....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha