lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #31
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Clutch question on an '07 "Drive"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmachine View Post
Sandbagger so you got the secondary clutch and spring, belt, air filter and jet kit from plowmans.. That sound correct? I wonder how much more performance is achieved if you go all out and get the same package you got but also get the primary clutch from plowman as well. I'm just looking for smoother acceleration and better low end power. It's fast enough now with the 10mm nut tightened in a bit.
If your primary is not working properly, then a rebuild would be a big help. Mine was still able to pull the belt up to the top of the pulley, so it's getting the max speed potential. But since I replaced the belt (which was the really bad part) and the secondary with the stiffer spring, it back shifts properly and has a heck of a low end hole shot now. You would do fine with the same setup that I got. He sells the performance kit for $249, which includes the new air filter, jets and belt. But that price covers rebuilding your existing secondary. Since mine was shot, I had to get a brand new one which he added his spring to. The total bill was over $400 for everything.

And here are the old vs.new shots:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3183.jpg (128.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3184.jpg (132.0 KB, 0 views)
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2013, 05:04 AM   #32
dbmachine
Gone Wild

im interested to see how the jet kit,airfilter, and the air box mod does for your before i order from plowmans..if there is very little difference with the new jets, filter and airbox mod then i will just get the clutch rebuilt, spring and the belt from him.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #33
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Ok did some measuring of my current clutches and belt. The wide section if the belt is a tad less than 1" and the narrow section of the belt is 3/4" wide. Looks as if my belt is about shot. The secondary clutch the belt is 3/8" from making it to the top if the clutch. Just my pinching each side of the secondary sheeves they feel thin. Don't know how much material plowman mills off each but they feel very thin to mill down. The primary clutch when at full throttle the belt is about 1/2" from ever getting to the top of the primary. Looks like either a new secondary like you got or send him my secondary to see if it can be machined properly and a new belt would be the ticket.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #34
dbmachine
Gone Wild

My belt isn't quite as low in the sheeves as your first pic but its not far off though.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #35
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Update..called cart parts plus and spoke to the owner..he said the belt should be at least 1.25" wide which means my belt is trashed. ordered a severe duty erlandson(EPI) belt and the speed spring with new bushings.. he says this should be a huge difference in what my cart performs at now. Ill see how the new belt does first and decide to go forth having plowman machine my secondary and a new clutch spring later.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #36
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I'm in the process of installing the new jets and airbox mods today. I don't expect much difference in top end speed since my governor is still functioning, but the acceleration may get better. Here's hoping!

Yes, your belt is shot. Anything under 1" is considered worn.

A new belt should be 1 3/16ths" for new, or 1 1/4" for a worn set of clutches so that you can make it to the tops of the pulleys. My new belt sits exactly at the top of the secondary at rest. It's also slight shorter than the stock Yamaha part (I had a little trouble getting it on because of that), which Don explained takes up some of the excessive slack and eliminates the "jerky" shifting problems that the Drive carts sometimes have.

One thing you have to be careful of is simply replacing the secondary clutch spring. There are other factors that affect back shifting other than just the tension of the spring. When Don sets up a clutch he also machines the ramps so that they work the best for your application. I had him do mine for low end grunt power, and I have to say, he hit the target on that one.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #37
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I wanna see what the jets and air box do. I want a drive pretty bad.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #38
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well, I installed the fatter jets and did the airbox mods to improve flow. My carb was pretty well crudded up and needed a good cleaning anyway. After it was all said and done, I really didn't notice much difference. Again, that's mostly due to my governor still working, so my top speed is still limited by that. But one thing I did notice is that the engine sounds "throatier". Don't know if it's in the exhaust note or from the airbox, but it sounds different, and (to my ear) way cooler. I did manage to crank down the governor a bit more and I'm now running at 18 MPH.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:48 AM   #39
dbmachine
Gone Wild

the throatier noise is most likely the added holes sucking in my air
Old 04-14-2013, 02:59 AM   #40
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I would believe so. Most shop compressors make more noise from the intake then the exhaust. Intake noise is usually more then most people realize. I do like a bit of throaty noise.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha