lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
ewbldavis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default G1 Starter/Generator

Well...all done with build and seems my starter/generator is causing problems.

Anyone rebuild one? Cart starts and runs great, but it is not charging battery (only reads 12V now versus 14-16V when running).

Sidebar: Voltage gauge I installed was useful with this problem! Meter confirmed.
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Field6565
Gone Wild

Default Re: G1 Starter/Generator

Your battery should read around 12 to 12.5 volts without the cart running. When running the generator should put out around 14.5 volts. I'm not sure if what you are seeing is a problem. I would start checking for bad connections in the wiring.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You need to determine if the problem is with the starter/generator or with the voltage regulator. You do this by momentarily applying full field current to the starter/generator. A reading of 16 volts or more at the battery during this brief test would indicate st/gen is ok and regulator or wiring (as field6565 indicated)may be bad. What cart do you have ?? Let me know if you need more info. - RAY

P.S. - Only apply full field for a few seconds (just long enough to get a voltage reading).
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
ewbldavis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Cart is a G1.

I metered battery running WOT @ 12V. It jumped to 14-15V once, but has stayed at 12V since.

Checked wires, etc. for a loosey - all good.

I am certain it is generator. Cart runs fine and all 12V items work. Regulator seems fine. Battery just isn't getting charged. Boss "knows a guy"...may just need new brushes.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Did you try the full field test I suggested ??? The reason I ask is because if brushes are bad you wouldn't be starting as well as not charging.-RAY
Old 05-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
ewbldavis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Good point. What do you mean by full field test? I am not sure what you mean or how you do it. Is this a bypass test of the regulator?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Your voltage regulator works by alternately grounding and ungrounding the green wire from your st/gen. When the green wire is shorted to ground the st/gen field is energized and field current flows causing the st/gen to supply current to the battery. The rising voltage at the battery causes the voltage regulator to unground the green wire and de-energize the field. Current to the battery now ceases to flow causing a reduction in battery voltage. This action then repeats, and it all happens again, only at a fairly fast rate when you are running the cart.

What we are doing when applying full field is shorting the green wire to ground to apply full field current (full time). This does cause the battery voltage to go to 15-16 volts so should not be done for an extended time (just long enough to get a voltage reading). If you do get the high 15-16 volts at the battery with full field, you can be pretty sure that the st/gen is ok and the regulator might be the problem.

You have an older mechanical regulator which has contact points that sometime get pitted and stop conducting. (They sometimes can be cleaned up with a file). This regulator is also adjustable for proper voltage output.

Sorry for the long post. Let me know what you find. - RAY

PS - Let me know if you need more detailed information.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

BS40 I know it's been a while since you posted this but I want to thank you for taking the time to do so. Good information.
Cvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
ewbldavis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

It is good! I need to check this weekend, but based on performance Memorial Day (voltage was back up), it could be dirty connections and/or voltage regulator. I will do full field test Sat.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

OK !! Good to hear that all is well. Your on board meter should read 14.5 - 15 volts when running, and 12.5 - 12.75 volts when not running (best time to check is first thing in the morning before running). A 12.0 volt reading (rested,not running) would indicate battery is at 40% state of charge. FYI, State of Charge for a 12 volt battery (after 6-12 hr rest) is approx. as follows:

12.70 volts = 100% charged
12.40 volts = 75% charged
12.00 volts = 40% charged
11.51 volts = 10% charged
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha