lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #41
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G29/YDR/Drive Club thread

Knock, Knock, is anybody home, LOL? Doesn’t anyone have any thoughts on this subject? I have been trying to find some information on how to modify this JW8 clutch if need be. If this clutch was setup for a showroom cart, what spring or spring setting can I use to increase low end torque due to it being lifted and using 23” tires. This is a helix style clutch and the sheave has three holes labeled A, B, C, and the secondary spring seat has two sets of holes opposite each other 5/8” apart. I haven’t tried it out yet for two reasons, one I need a different mounting bolt, washer and spacer and do I want to send it back in unused condition for a refund. With this setup the J55 belt is needed, which is shorter and wider and I have one. If I can get good performance out of this setup, it would be fine with me and maybe help out a growing number of YDRA owners in the future. I know that Plowman’s has a good setup for the earlier YDRA carts, but I can’t help wondering what performance we can get out of this new clutch setup (2012-1/2 on up). When I got my cart it already had the new style OEM drive clutch installed. Good Luck.
Robert
https://www.yamahapartsandaccessorie...CONDARY_SHEAVE
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #42
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Call Erlandson Technology, Glenn told me he worked with yamaha in setting this new FBT clutch up. Very nice guy, willing to help.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #43
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Cgtech I really appreciate your reply. After spending a lot of time on the net I did find a pdf by Erlandson Technology and I figured I wasn’t the only one interested in how to setup the new clutches. I will be sure to give Glenn a call to see how or if I need to modify or upgrade this new driven clutch. Once I figure out what I am going to do I will be sure to post my results and findings.
Robert
http://www.erlandsontechnology.com/v...log-retail.pdf
Old 11-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #44
plowman
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEdition View Post
Knock, Knock, is anybody home, LOL? Doesn’t anyone have any thoughts on this subject? I have been trying to find some information on how to modify this JW8 clutch if need be. If this clutch was setup for a showroom cart, what spring or spring setting can I use to increase low end torque due to it being lifted and using 23” tires. This is a helix style clutch and the sheave has three holes labeled A, B, C, and the secondary spring seat has two sets of holes opposite each other 5/8” apart. I haven’t tried it out yet for two reasons, one I need a different mounting bolt, washer and spacer and do I want to send it back in unused condition for a refund. With this setup the J55 belt is needed, which is shorter and wider and I have one. If I can get good performance out of this setup, it would be fine with me and maybe help out a growing number of YDRA owners in the future. I know that Plowman’s has a good setup for the earlier YDRA carts, but I can’t help wondering what performance we can get out of this new clutch setup (2012-1/2 on up). When I got my cart it already had the new style OEM drive clutch installed. Good Luck.
Robert
https://www.yamahapartsandaccessorie...CONDARY_SHEAVE
we have had the performance kits out for your cart for two years, and have over a thousand or so around the word installed, it will be on our web next week, (sorry very behind on the web page) the video has been up on our page showing the results for a while,if you need help with your cart i will be glad to help.
plowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #45
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Don beat me to the punch. He has the performance kit ready for these newer 2012.5 and newer clutches just not updated on his site yet. I have his performance kit on my 2013 cart and it rocks. My cart has 22" tires, jakes 3" spindle lift, and the rear seat. The kit includes a new belt, new spring for the driven clutch(secondary), high flow air filter, larger jets for the carb. You will have to make a few mods to the airbox and some easy adjustments to the carb but everything is explained in the instructions. If there is any question in doubt about the install don will walk you through the entire process on the phone if need be. I bypassed my governor and switched to mobil 1 synthetic oil. The cart was sluggish before his performance kit after installed the lift and tires. The kit turned the cart into a total treat to drive. Its very peppy and flat out gets up and goes. Ive climbed hills so steep that one can barely walk up. The cart spins the tires all the way up no issues. Ive pulled heavy trailer loads of lumber that was way too much weight for a golf cart but it pulled it with ease. Top speed was 30 mph. Taking dons advice and adjusting my valves after several heat cycles my top speed is 33 mph on a paved straightaway. Pretty fast for such a small engine.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #46
cgtech

Yamaha

Guess i have missed dons new products because they're not on his site... Not dissin' on don (a site sponsor with many happy users here), but he's not the only game in town, got to keep the site current (www must be a huge part of his business too).
Old 11-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #47
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

As I said above I did call Glenn at Erlandson Technology and it was an interesting conversation. I explained to him that I had the new style Drive clutch installed already the model that is on the 2013 on up YDRA carts. The new drive clutch is JW8-G6201-21-00, 2013 or JW8-G6201-22-00, 2014/2015; it has three screws holding the clutch cover on. Then I explained to him that I had ordered a JW1-G6202-02-00 Driven clutch and what I received was the new style JW8-G6202-22-00 FBT clutch. I explained to him that I had already installed a torque spring in the JW1 driven clutch with a new OEM JW1 belt and it was working great. I had planned on installing the torque spring in the new JW1 I had ordered, but the new JW8 is a helix style clutch with a torsion spring. He said that a replacement spring did not have to be a torsion spring and if the one I already had would fit to go ahead and try it out. If my spring wouldn’t work , that for my cart setup with a 6” lift and 23” Tires he suggested one of his springs a DRYA14 (Blue) spring. He also said they have a Severe Duty Kevlar Double Cog belt DBYA J57H that is a direct replacement for the OEM J55-G6241-00-00 belt (1-1/4” wide). I haven’t had a chance to try all of this out yet. I plan on trying the new driven clutch with the OEM spring, so I will have something to compare it to after I change it to a torque spring. I will let you all know how it comes out when I get a chance to try it out.
Robert
PS: Don has already made some changes to his website showing the new clutch setup.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #48
cgtech

Yamaha

I run that belt on my g2. I love it. It does act a little different than a stock belt (in a good way, more rpms, more power.)
Old 11-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #49
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I went out into my shop today to start messing around with the two driven clutches. I made a jig out of some angle iron and 1/2” all thread to be able to work on the clutches. Removing the yellow torque spring I bought from Jakes for the JW1 clutch was no trouble at all. Taking the new JW8 clutch apart to remove the spring was simple enough also, but going back together is another thing. I decided to go ahead and try to install the yellow spring from the JW1 into the JW8 clutch and everything looked ok at the beginning. The diameter of the yellow spring will fit alright but when I started compressing the spring to aligning up the helix on the ramp is when I realized that there would be problem. The original spring that was removed from the JW8 has a counter clockwise twist that will compress and get smaller as the clutch moves clockwise on the ramps as the sheaves open wider. The yellow spring from the JW1 clutch has a clockwise twist that will try to get larger and bind as the clutch moves clockwise on the ramps as the sheaves open wider. It looks like I will have to get another spring with the correct twist on it. In trying to reassemble the JW8 clutch with the original spring I realized I will have to make a different compression fixture to use to reset the snap ring on this new clutch. The JW1 is flat on top and aligns up without much difficulty, but the JW8 is domed and also has to align up with some splines as you clock it to preload the spring. If the jig doesn’t hold it flat, doing all this can be fun. I have got some ideas of how to do this and I will work them out tomorrow.
Robert
Old 11-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #50
dbmachine
Gone Wild

I sent mine to don and he did all the spring changing on the new style clutch. When you put the new spring on the new style clutch it doesn't matter if the ramps line up. I questioned don about this when he assembled mine. Runs like a champ. I know what you mean about how difficult it is to align and put on the c clip. That's why I sent mine in. You can damage the splines very easy. I believe don told me he had to make a special jig to make the process easy.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha