lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2016, 11:24 PM   #11
Joel Craig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Reducer blew up!

yeah yeah stand back! I didn't purchase this one, the owner of the cart did.
I'm ordering the next one tho. I'll add my thoughts in regards to the new one and if I figure out any other reason for that one to do that. Thanks cart people..
Joel Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-21-2016, 06:27 AM   #12
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

You most likely hooked the 48 volts to the 12 volt input wires. Those people don't speak our language let alone wire color codes. make double sure which is which on the next one.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I burnt up a few of the inexpensive 10 and 20 amp DC reducers before I found the 30 amp model we sell. You MUST go with a reducer rated way over the expected draw or it will fail.
Look for our 30a DC reducer sale starting today!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #14
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

And, not to rub salt in it, but fuse the circuit.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:22 AM   #15
DIRTPIT HC
Gone Wild

Club Car

When I tried to order my reducer from Scotty a couple years ago he was out at the time. I ordered one from the internet. It came with no instructions or wiring diagram at all. I posted here trying to figurer out what was what and only after someone suggested i go back and look at the website I got it from did i see this pic.
Attached Images
File Type: png dc converter.png (132.2 KB, 0 views)
DIRTPIT HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:14 AM   #16
blekenbleu
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Craig View Post
I know I had it hooked up correctly, easy enough red and black and red wire in with 48volts with 12 volts coming out the other two. Anyone know why?
Without the reducer, can you measure any voltage between black for 48V and black for 12V?

Many reducers are not isolated. If -12V for cart accessories was connected
to other than -48V, a non-isolated reducer would represent a short (or low resistance) across batteries between -12V and -48V.
blekenbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:35 PM   #17
Joel Craig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I don't know , I have not tried that, but I get where you are going by saying that and Ill check on friday after i receive the new reducer in the mail.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:51 PM   #18
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTPIT HC View Post
When I tried to order my reducer from Scotty a couple years ago he was out at the time. I ordered one from the internet. It came with no instructions or wiring diagram at all. I posted here trying to figurer out what was what and only after someone suggested i go back and look at the website I got it from did i see this pic.
From the photo of the wiring you attached, it appears the red wire (48V) and black wire (12V) may have been the cause of the reducer failure if connected to the 48 volt + and -.

As has been said, often typical color coding is not standard between manufacturers.

USA standard color coding is red and black for the high voltage. In this case it appears not to be.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:32 PM   #19
Joel Craig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The reducer came with no directions other than on the bottom of it just above the wires themselves input 48volts + (above the red wire) and - (above the black wire) then output + (above the yellow wire) and - (above the other black wire) nothing more than that. I have installed several in the past before never having an issue. This time I had the living crap scared out of me! Thankfully the cart still ran the same after i got it all put back the way it was before I got my hands on it.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:48 PM   #20
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

It seems the shipping dept. miss-labeled the boxes. You got the reducer intended for Achmed in c/o Jeff Dunham.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car