lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2020, 09:47 AM   #1
UKPR1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default I want a little more speed but stay at 36V

So, this rig is mostly for tooling around my flat South Florida neighborhood. I don't want a speed machine - 18-20mph +/- would be definitely enough. The cart is a 1999 TXT and has 22" off road tires on it - clearly just for looks (what my little girl wanted). Just invested in a new pack of 230aH batteries, so not looking to replace or even add to those. My question is: If I were to be allowed to do one thing (and one thing only) to get to that speed and had a budget of $600 to do it, what would that one thing be - motor or controller? Looking at the Plum motors and the Navitas controllers, both say that no other upgrades are necessary (motor says upgraded controller isn't necessary and the controller says that an upgraded motor isn't necessary) but what is the best bang for the buck to install that one thing and nothing else? Are there any other more cost effective options for a motor or controller I've missed?

Thanks in Advance!

Geoff
UKPR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2020, 10:02 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: I want a little more speed but stay at 36V

Which drive system? A '99 TXT was either a series drive or a sepex drive (DCS).
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:06 AM   #3
UKPR1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

JB,

Thanks for your reply! You're my first ever! Not that you win a prize or anything...but congrats!

From all the descriptions, I see that I've lucked out with a "series" motor.

Thanks,

Geoff
Old 04-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Use the AMD 7122 motor seen on my website./
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:35 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Getting up to 18 to 20 MPH with a series drive at 36V is possible, but off road tires may make it difficult.

If the cart had a top speed of 14MPH on level pavement with stock height (18" tall) tires, then the speed with 22" tires ought to be up to about 17MPH. However, if the tires are the low pressure type (max inflation pressure less than 10PSI), then it will be slower, maybe even slower than stock.

What is cart's top speed with the off road tires?
Old 04-08-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

As Scotty suggested, use the AMD 7122 motor. https://www.cartsunlimited.net/ezgo-motors.html
Old 04-08-2020, 11:10 AM   #7
UKPR1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Speed is in the 12-13mph range. That motor sounds like just what I need. What will that do you my range...IOW, is the amp draw more or less than stock?

Thanks for your collective input.

Geoff
Old 04-08-2020, 11:13 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You will definitely use more amperage to make more performance. That is simple math or ohms law. When people ask how much my answer is that depends upon upon how heavy your foot is... just like MPG in the car.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:20 AM   #9
UKPR1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

And that’s a reasonable answer! I only ask as some motors claim to use less amps because of more windings or something like that...

Geoff
Old 04-08-2020, 01:22 PM   #10
UKPR1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Going by the principle of I should ask a direct question instead of floating ideas out there...I've done some in depth searching from others on the site and I see that I'll suffer from a loss of torque...which I'm debating with myself if that's something I'll end up liking. On the flip side...as I just bought the batteries yesterday and haven't even installed them yet, if I took them back and bought 6-8v or bought 1 or 2 more of the 6 volt batteries and put them in the bag well, and left my 36V motor as is, the consensus from those that have done this is that I'll be happy with the outcome. Will changing out the controller, cables (I have new 4 ga wires) and F/R switch be mandatory too? Two batteries would run me another $250 and if I don't have to swap the controller out, then is this the way to go? Would I be able to skate by with just a one battery upgrade?

Thanks again,

Geoff
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO