lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2020, 01:16 PM   #21
Rdangeau
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2009 EZGO RXV Experts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biphase View Post
I suspect that the dealer has diagnosed the problem as a motor encoder issue rather than a brake problem. On the Danaher carts the motor encoder is an internal bearing that senses motor speed and direction and connects to the controller via four wires connected to the motor. A Bearing Encoder Service Kit P/N 612595 is available for less than $200. Curtis controller carts use a different encoder which is easier to replace because it is attached to the motor externally.

If it truly is an intermittent brake, I would suspect a faulty connection at the two wire plug where the harness connects to the brake as poster Threeput has mentioned above. I have seen that problem before. In that case you won't need the motor or harness, simply repair or replace the connector.
Thank you for the response. Think I’m just going to go pick it up. When I removed floormat there was dirt,mud, grass etc. is it possible some of those plugs/switches could cause this problem?
Rdangeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2020, 01:25 PM   #22
Rdangeau
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by biphase View Post
I suspect that the dealer has diagnosed the problem as a motor encoder issue rather than a brake problem. On the Danaher carts the motor encoder is an internal bearing that senses motor speed and direction and connects to the controller via four wires connected to the motor. A Bearing Encoder Service Kit P/N 612595 is available for less than $200. Curtis controller carts use a different encoder which is easier to replace because it is attached to the motor externally.

If it truly is an intermittent brake, I would suspect a faulty connection at the two wire plug where the harness connects to the brake as poster Threeput has mentioned above. I have seen that problem before. In that case you won't need the motor or harness, simply repair or replace the connector.
Thank you for the response. Think I’m just going to go pick it up. When I removed floormat there was dirt,mud, grass etc. is it possible some of those plugs/switches could cause this problem?
Old 05-07-2020, 02:20 PM   #23
biphase
Gone Wild

There is a limit switch at the base of the brake pedal that senses when the pedal is pushed hard to the floor. I believe that switch is normally closed and opens when the brake pedal is pushed all the way to the floor. When that switch opens it interrupts the current to the motor brake which causes it to lock up. I suppose if that switch or the connector attaching it to the harness were intermittent it would cause the brake to engage intermittently.

I suspect the connector at the brake itself is the most likely cause. Try wiggling the connector. Also there is a jumper plug located under the cup holder that can interrupt the brake circuit if it is not seated securely or is corroded.
biphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:36 PM   #24
spanuts
Not Yet Wild

Rdangau
How is the repair doing I have a 2008 rxv with same symptoms some time it goes days with no problems then it will do the key switch on off a couple times to go and just recently while driving it stops dead lock brakes. And I turn key switch off And back on And works ok for day or 2 then starts again
I’m going to do the checks that others have posted in your link sounds like great advice
spanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:46 AM   #25
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I will add this, I have revved rxv motors to the moon, and never seen a "motor failure" as a result. There's only one failure in the motor that I have ever seen that's not repairable with reasonably priced parts (reasonable compared to a new motor), like bearing & encoder, and that's the temp sensor. Its woven into the windings & cant be removed & replaced. It will cause a steady 2mph top speed, because the controller thinks the motor is always hotter than the sun. (Which causes the controller to go into "limp mode" to avoid motor damage)

Well, I take that back, the other failure is massive intrusion of battery acid corrosion into the motor internals, which wrecks everything & causes constant "ac overcurrent" type codes. The whole motor was "fuzzy" with corrosion on the outside & the inside. I've probably seen 3 of those, and zero maintenance was the root cause.

I've seen several rxvs with over 20,000 miles still going.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:33 PM   #26
Rdangeau
Not Yet Wild

Don’t know what to do. Bought new golf cart but still have this one with So called bad motor.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:34 PM   #27
Rdangeau
Not Yet Wild

Brand new batteries. With new cables and no corrosion
Old 05-12-2020, 10:40 PM   #28
Rdangeau
Not Yet Wild

As a side note I jacked up golf cart. Removed brake but left it plugged up to see if brake was engaging and it wasn’t. Motor has the same slow crawl. Would it not simply be the bearing encoder needs to be replaced?
Old 05-12-2020, 11:26 PM   #29
biphase
Gone Wild

Slow crawl with wheels off the ground is a classic symptom of a failed bearing encoder. A new replacement kit is available from Country Cat for less than $170. Bearing Encoder Kit P/N 612595
biphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:32 PM   #30
Rdangeau
Not Yet Wild

And that would be a service that a ezgo dealer Would/should be familiar with Performing?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO