lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2020, 10:56 AM   #1
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Charger smells funny, bubbling plastic, is it toast or what caused it?

I have a 48v 2001 Western and I started smelling something a little odd, so I unplugged the charger for a while then plugged it in the next day...still funny smell. The pictures at the bottom should tell most of the story.

This all happened, hopefully coincidentally, after I rewired my radio/lights to a 48v->12v voltage reducer instead of directly to random battery pairs (6v+6v = 12v). This should help the overall battery life by more evenly draining them.

It looks like something is going on with the charger cable and plastic is bubbling up. I think, even while smoldering, it was still charging the batteries, if that gives any clues to anything.
  • Any idea what could cause this?
  • I want to take apart the charging cable plug to investigage. Does the charger have any large capacitors that I need to worry about discharging or can I just unplug it?

ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2020, 11:24 AM   #2
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Charger smells funny, bubbling plastic, is it toast or what caused it?

Are you sure you had it plugged all the way into the port of the cart? Bad connection = resistance which = hot and melting plastic.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:54 AM   #3
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Re: Charger smells funny, bubbling plastic, is it toast or what caused it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Are you sure you had it plugged all the way into the port of the cart? Bad connection = resistance which = hot and melting plastic.
My roommate took the cart out for a date and plugged the charger in for his first time ever.

I have zero confidence he plugged it all the way in. I've seen him plug things into the wall sideways...

He asked "is hooking up the charger hard or can I handle it?" and I said "You just plug it in, it only goes one way"...I should have gone and checked.

Any idea the quickest fix? Can I just buy another plug and swap it?
Old 05-11-2020, 12:38 PM   #4
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Re: Charger smells funny, bubbling plastic, is it toast or what caused it?

Just found this guy https://www.amazon.com/No-accessorie...9218692&sr=8-2

Looks nearly identical. It says 36v but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work for 48v.

It even has the picture for "fully engaged" so this won't happen again.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:43 PM   #5
iwashmycar
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

FYI Dont believe the "fully engaged" sticker.

I have a similar one for my TXT and that line is a good 3/8" above where it should be - the thing just wont make it to the line (in the case of the one I bought).

I guess if anything you will visually know its in all the way by how far it consistently is, but still dont trust that roomie!

Edit: Just noticed that comes with the female port too - Maybe that one is matched for the plug. My OEM port wasnt.
iwashmycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:16 PM   #6
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwashmycar View Post
FYI Dont believe the "fully engaged" sticker.

I have a similar one for my TXT and that line is a good 3/8" above where it should be - the thing just wont make it to the line (in the case of the one I bought).

I guess if anything you will visually know its in all the way by how far it consistently is, but still dont trust that roomie!

Edit: Just noticed that comes with the female port too - Maybe that one is matched for the plug. My OEM port wasnt.
I'll find out when it arrives and I'll try to post an update.

I can't find the "face-palm" emoji, but that's the one I need for this "issue".
Old 05-12-2020, 01:34 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The connectors in your charger handle & in your charge port need replaced. But, lucky for you, it's the same ones used on all the ezgo 36v stuff. You can buy just the contacts alone (but I bet your plastic charger handle is toast too). Over the years, the contacts lose their "springy-ness" that makes good connection. While your buddy might be partly to blame, the contacts dont last forever either. The plastic handle is what I call the "ezgo industrial plug", because it's what was used on all their 48v stuff back when 36v was the main program, and only "specialty vehicles" like limos & service duty carts used 48v.

Also, that charger is a chinese joke (but not part of the current problem), just throwing it out there. If the charger itself fails, forget about fixing the "thunder-fart".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO