lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2020, 04:00 PM   #1
JBeck0421
Not Yet Wild

Default Is a golf cart really a golf cart if not on a golf course?

Interesting subject in my opinion. If this is not the right place for this discussion, please let me know and I will post in the correct forum.
First a little background. Many in my neighborhood have "golf carts" and we ride around often. Just to cruise or to the neighborhood pool. And we obey all traffic laws. By law, "golf carts" are not allowed, and recently a few people complained and now the sheriff is involved (who didn't blatantly say as much, but clearly does not care but he "must uphold the law"). Where we live, the local municipality has the ability to designate certain public roads as golf cart legal roads, we just need to get them to pass an ordinance and put up signs (will probably involve money on our end). That may or may not be a possibility, we will see.
As I started looking into the legal aspects of this, I found that the Code of Virginia defines a golf cart as a "self propelled vehicle that is designed to transport persons playing golf and their equipment ON A GOLF COURSE". Obviously I am on this side of it so I say that my cart is designed to carry persons around my neighborhood and the campgrounds, NOT A GOLF COURSE. I also have nothing on my cart that can carry golf equipment anymore. Yes my cart was originally manufactured to meet Virginia's definition, but the current design not so much.
The closest thing that my cart is by Virginia definition is a "toy vehicle" defined as "any motorized or propellant-driven device that has no manufacturer-issued vehicle identification number that is designed or used to carry any person or persons, on any number of wheels, bearings, glides, blades, runners, or a cushion of air". Yes I have a serial number, but no VIN. Virginia law allows toy vehicles to ride on residential roads. Again being on this side of it I look at my neighbors kid who has an electric scooter that will beat me in a race. So how is my cart any different? In fact, it is safer, slower, only driven by a licensed driver, and I have a full coverage $100,000 insurance policy on it.
Just curious if there is any place out there that maybe sees it the same way. Maybe one of you is in law enforcement or a lawyer and could provide some insight? Thought this could provide some informative and maybe interesting conversation. We are not raising a big stink about this, but do hate that a few complainers are trying to ruin it for the majority in my neighborhood.
JBeck0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2020, 04:39 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Is a golf cart really a golf cart if not on a golf course?

I dont know the exact specifics on your state, but, in arizona it would be registered & plated as a LSV (and insured). That means a top speed of over 20, but not more than 25mph. Head, tail, brake lights & turn signals. Reflectors, horn, mirror, seat belts, and some type of windshield (not required to be glass, and wiper not required in AZ). The use restrictions are simple, can be used on any roads with 35mph speed limit or less, and can cross other roads at an intersection.

In my experience, they have been quite lax in enforcing specifics. I dont have turn signals, or seat belts, and I can exceed 25mph. (Obviously I mind my manners when the police are around, things go easier if you dont make yourself obvious). When I have been pulled over, they were totally satisfied with current insurance & tags, didnt go looking for other things to get me for. (They said it was a little late for me to not have my lights on).

Also, look into ANSI definitions of "golf cart", "PTV", and "LSV", it might help you build a compelling argument for you guys.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:48 PM   #3
JBeck0421
Not Yet Wild

We have low speed vehicles here too, but my cart was made to go less than 20 so it does not classify as LSV. The laws are not definitive about golf carts in my state in my opinion. Honestly, it is probably just badly written but still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JBeck0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:00 PM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The state of Georgia defined these vehicles as a golf cart, a PTV (personal transportation vehicle) or an LSV (low speed vehicle). The main difference between a PTV and a LSV is some safety equipment and a 17 digit VIN. You can read the definitions here: https://dps.georgia.gov/georgia-code-low-speed-vehicles
There are other things defined here so you'll have to scroll down.

Basically a golf cart is meant for golf and a speed of less then 15mph. A PTV is essentially a golf cart that can go up to 20 mph and a LSV up to 25 mph.

The statute allows for local communities (governments) to develop their own rules and if you read between the lines it is quite generous.

Years ago one community, Peachtree City, was designed to be golf cart friendly from the git go. It is even linked to in the Georgia statute.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:15 PM   #5
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

I am not licensed to practice law in your state so I cannot give you legal advice and in no way is this post giving legal advice... however is your community gated or maintained privately? That could make a difference with enforcement. In many states, private roads police may patrol and respond to complaints but may not have proper authority to regulate carts on the roadway.

Additionally, your cart is modified so while it originally fit into the statutory language you or a previous owner modified it to make it so your cart no longer has the golf equipment that is in the statute. Most likely this does not matter. What matters is what the intended purpose was when sold new as that is what the statutory language targets.

There may be ways to get around it. For example here in Florida we have assembled from parts vehicles that if they meet all requirements they can get titled.

Another option is to go to your city council meeting and get them to offer you some sort of "local exception" if they are in common use in your area and they do not want to designate them as golf cart roads. Remember we are in an interesting society. Golf carts vs cars don't end well. They may not want the responsibility that comes along with allowing carts on roads. Creative lawyers could potentially find ways to hold the city responsible if they get involved with allowing carts.

Does your insurance know that you use the cart on public roads and it is insured as such?
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:41 PM   #6
Forklift
Not Yet Wild

Sounds like a riddle.

If a cat has kittens in the oven it don't make 'em biscuits.

If its sold as a golf cart, then yep, its a golf cart, but Im no lawyer either.

To be road worthy it has to have plates, horn, lights and keep up with minimum speeds. Local D.O.T. law would be where to check.

But if it can do the legal minimum, does it then become a Prius type electric vehicle??

Bottom Line, the law is ambiguous enough that if a judge is in a good mood, youll be ok. Otherwise they will hammer you...
Forklift is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts