lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #11
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Aluminum Wheel Porosity

I had an aluminum wheel that leaked as you describe. It was a casting flaw. I dunked the mounted wheel and tire under water and found where the air was coming out. I popped the bead and using a large" C " clamp, held the tire back and put RTV sealant on the inside of the wheel in the area that I saw it leaking on the outside. I left it overnight, blew it back up, and never had a problem after that.
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #12
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
I had an aluminum wheel that leaked as you describe. It was a casting flaw. I dunked the mounted wheel and tire under water and found where the air was coming out. I popped the bead and using a large" C " clamp, held the tire back and put RTV sealant on the inside of the wheel in the area that I saw it leaking on the outside. I left it overnight, blew it back up, and never had a problem after that.
Sounds like a quick and easy fix . . . maybe will try that . . . at least I am sure it won't eat the aluminum . . . I have read that Slime can attack the aluminum if you use the wrong one . . . also have found a product called High Lifters Pro sealant . . .

the quest continues . . . . .
Old 12-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #13
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

smear some in the area of the leak and mount up.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i have never tried the slime but i have broken down many a tire to find out it had slime in it and i never noticed anything about the wheel that would concern me..............i know for a fact grease will work we have used it countless times to remedy a stubbren slo leak.....................
Old 12-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #15
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
Sounds like a quick and easy fix . . . maybe will try that . . . at least I am sure it won't eat the aluminum . . . I have read that Slime can attack the aluminum if you use the wrong one . . . also have found a product called High Lifters Pro sealant . . .

the quest continues . . . . .
I know that some brands of the spray can type " flat fix " will definitely cause a steel rim to rust like crazy! I'm not sure about aluminum wheels. I've also been told ( by tire techs ) to only use the can type " flat fix " to get you to a repair shop to have the tire repaired properly! I know that shops hate to work on tires that have had the stuff put in them, because #1 it's flammable and dangerous, and #2 it makes a friggin mess!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #16
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

hey how about
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skippy.jpg (11.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #17
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
hey how about
Will try any and all solutions . . . will pull tire off wheel after holidays . . . might be able to use this also as it does not appear to be edible . . .

3fruitcakes.jpg

Old 12-14-2011, 08:05 AM   #18
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

kidding aside,

i have aluminum wheeels on my car. When i got new tires they put this "GUNKY" substance on the rims to seal the bead.

I asked him why cause on steel rims they don't use it. And he gave me the "ARE YOU STUPID ANSWER", so the rim won't leak.

so maybe this all applies to golf cart rims as well.

before you go crazy getting all of our "EXPERT" (cough) answers , Why don't you question a tire place for the best solution. And for that matter the best chemical to use.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #19
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
kidding aside,

i have aluminum wheeels on my car. When i got new tires they put this "GUNKY" substance on the rims to seal the bead.

I asked him why cause on steel rims they don't use it. And he gave me the "ARE YOU STUPID ANSWER", so the rim won't leak.

so maybe this all applies to golf cart rims as well.

before you go crazy getting all of our "EXPERT" (cough) answers , Why don't you question a tire place for the best solution. And for that matter the best chemical to use.
Funny you should mention that . . . a new tire place just opened up the main drag from me and I was thinking of running the tire/wheel up there and explain what is going on and see what they do to fix these leaks . . . if they offer no solutions, I can at least have them break it down for me so I can try using an epoxy paint on the inside of the wheel . . .
Old 12-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #20
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

for the cost of YOU BUYING epoxy , sealant ,etc let the tire place do it.
when it come to breaking BEADS that's mule labor and easier when you have shop tools.

Most likely it will cost you about $10. ( well spent money)

and the best part is once they charge you ...they own it and are now responsible if it leaks again
Closed Thread
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car