lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
danny03cobra
Not Yet Wild

Default Bad batteries?

Hey guys i bought a lifted club car with off road tires, and i am having trouble going up hills and battery seems to have a full charge. I have not given it a full charge since i bought it, meeter has a full bar. i was thinking of buying new batteries but want to make sure thats the problem, cart has a 3hp motor. not sure if its a 36 or 48 volt but its a 1996. any feedback would really help.

also what are the best batteries to get if i do need them?
danny03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Bad batteries?

Look at the battery fill tops.....If there is 3 on a battery its 6 volt if there is 4 its 8 volt batteries. I would let the charger go through a full cycle and see how they react to that. Do you know it the cart sat for a while? Before you charge check the batteries for proper water level also.
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
danny03cobra
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GatorClub View Post
Look at the battery fill tops.....If there is 3 on a battery its 6 volt if there is 4 its 8 volt batteries. I would let the charger go through a full cycle and see how they react to that. Do you know it the cart sat for a while? Before you charge check the batteries for proper water level also.
ok they have 3 fill tops, and i just checked the level and a couple looked really low. filled it and re charging now. hope that takes care of it because it feels like its got 1/2 a hp. wont go up hills' will the big tires and lift reduce a lot of power?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

I'm not one of the experts here but some of the common questions are, what is the battery pack voltage after charging? what is each battery voltage after charging? Check the specific gravity of each battery cell after charging. How old are the batteries? If they are Trojan they will have a date code on the neg post of each battery. The code reads like this "D9" which would interpret to April 2009.
Other questions, are the connections tight? Are the connections clean?
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny03cobra View Post
ok they have 3 fill tops, and i just checked the level and a couple looked really low. filled it and re charging now. hope that takes care of it because it feels like its got 1/2 a hp. wont go up hills' will the big tires and lift reduce a lot of power?
problem is you have a 36 volt cart with a lot of extra,s and its not gonna give you much..........get your batteries in tip top shape it will get better but don,t exact a whole lot...............if your unsure about batteries???? .....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
23" tires increase the final drive ratio by 30%. This reduces torque by the same percentage. Dry cells exasperate the problem.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
danny03cobra
Not Yet Wild

charged the batteries over night and will check the voltage tonight. 3 batteries are from 2007 and the other 3 are from 2010. given that the cart is lift and has big tires and i get new batteries' will that motor be enough to get around the hilly terrain i live in?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Probably not.
The stock controller allows enough amperage for the stock motor to turn the stock tires on a groomed cart path.
Increasing the tire size 30% and the load (hilly off road) use will mean you need to increase the amperage delivery by atleast 30-40% just to break even power wise.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
charged the batteries over night and will check the voltage tonight. 3 batteries are from 2007 and the other 3 are from 2010. given that the cart is lift and has big tires and i get new batteries' will that motor be enough to get around the hilly terrain i live in?
If you want more overall power and are going to change out your batteries mine as well get 6 8 volt batteries and scottyB conversion set-up using your existing 36 volt motor will probably do everything you want it to do. I just did the conversion on mine and it feels like a little rocket ship now.
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
danny03cobra
Not Yet Wild

ok guys charged the batteries over night and then plugged the charger back in and tested the voltage. 3 were 6.4v the older 3 from 2007 were 6.2v

i was also told by a shop that the stock motor is not enough power for a lifted cart with big tires. are the batteries shot?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car