lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
graysonk95
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Exclamation Serious wheel issue- broken spindle?!

Yesterday I was cruising around in my '04 Precedent. I made a high-speed sweeping right turn and noticed a rumbling coming from under the front cowl.
It sounded exactly like the wheels on a lifted cart rubbing the frame, but mine is completely stock so the wheels never rub...

I rolled around on the ground looking for the problem, but could see no reason the wheel would be rubbing anything! I called my buddy over and had him look under while I did the same radius turn at a lower speed, still we heard the noise. He narrowed it down to coming from the driver's side wheel.
We looked all around the wheel... but then I checked inside the rim and found this:
http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/3c02...8b1a43d842.png

What happened?! (I'm no master mechanic so excuse my vague/wrong terminology) Clearly there is something wrong with the front spindle, and it just started happening because I do that same turn everyday with no trouble.

Could anyone diagnose this and tell me a fix?
What happened?
Is this fixable without any replacement parts?
Do I need to order a new spindle/other parts? If so, how much do they cost and is it DIY'able like installing lift kit spindles?

HELP!
graysonk95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Serious wheel issue- broken spindle?!

up top of spindle there should be a thick washer and at least 1 more i beleive.....are washers still there? clearly something came out to let it drop like that but even with the washers ( if they are gone ) i don,t know that you would have the clearence as the other side.............i,m not certain but i do know they redesigned that pin it started making it from stainless steel for some reason but on that year cart i don,t know......can you take a pic of the upper part of spindle.............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
graysonk95
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the reply, but I found out what it was shortly after.

There was a nut atop the spindle assembly that holds a bolt which keeps the wheel-spindle-suspension parts all fastened together. That nut had come loose so I tightened it (which also raised the spindle off of the rim) and used pleeeeeenty of thread lock to keep it from coming loose again and possibly damaging my wheel!

Here it is before I tightened it:
http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/1bb6...76b884a1d1.png
Old 07-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

The washers Shadowman is referring to are called thrust washers. They can be found on DS models but not on Precedents. As for your issue, it's common on 04-05 Precedents. Club Car is now using a different nut. You may want to call your dealer and order a few new ones. The part number is 102878201
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
The washers Shadowman is referring to are called thrust washers. They can be found on DS models but not on Precedents. As for your issue, it's common on 04-05 Precedents. Club Car is now using a different nut. You may want to call your dealer and order a few new ones. The part number is 102878201
Common as in very David? I would assume the old nut is not a locking one and the new one is? The illustrated parts list still lists the same part number and a pic looks the same as the OP.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
you can,t stand it can you???? vacation my arse..............lolol.................turn your phone off.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
graysonk95
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification.
I used a healthy amount of thread lock so I shouldn't have to worry about it coming loose. I'll just keep an eye on the other side.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
Common as in very David? I would assume the old nut is not a locking one and the new one is? The illustrated parts list still lists the same part number and a pic looks the same as the OP.
They didn't change the illustration. They may not have even changed the part number, but regardless it's a different nut for sure. The other nut was a locking nut, but a different style that didn't work as well.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
you can,t stand it can you???? vacation my arse..............lolol.................turn your phone off.................................
I'm back at work man. We came back Saturday. Play time is over
Old 07-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
They didn't change the illustration. They may not have even changed the part number, but regardless it's a different nut for sure. The other nut was a locking nut, but a different style that didn't work as well.
I will just have to keep an eye on them. By any chance do you know the torque spec for the nut?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car