lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Jazz24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Battery Discharge before causing damage.

Hello to all,

From what I have read on this forum and what other sources have told me that charging your cart to often (let say it is at 90%) or discharging your pack to 40% or less can cause damage to your batteries. Is this true? So if charging to much and running your batteries to low can cause damage. What precentage of discharge do you recomend before you should charge your battery pack for the best preformance and battery life.

60%, 50%, 40% or other

Thanks in advance!

Not that it matters I have a 48v (4x 12v) Precedent.
Jazz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery Discharge before causing damage.

Several of the major battery manufactures suggest a 50% maximum discharge for everyday use. However an 80% discharge is perfectly acceptable if you are will to accept the consequences. Take a look at this discharge to number of cycles chart. It shows that while you can discharge deeply, the number of times the battery can fully recover will decrease.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery life cycle Capture.jpg (61.9 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Jazz24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Scootyb,

So according to your chart charging often will not damage the batteries. I refering to like a cell phone, your should run the battery down first before your charge because charging to often kills the battery (at least that is what I was told). I know that the batteries in a golf cart are different than a cell phone, I am just using that for an example. I don't know much about proper battery maintenance but am learning from this forum. This is a great place to learn things about golf carts.

Also, I read somewhere on this forum about proper break in procedure for batteries but I can find that thread again. It stated about running your cart down to I think 50% and then charge several times can improve your runtime. Is that correct? If anyone knows what thread that was, please let me know.

Thanks
Old 07-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz24 View Post
Scootyb,

So according to your chart charging often will not damage the batteries. I refering to like a cell phone, your should run the battery down first before your charge because charging to often kills the battery (at least that is what I was told). I know that the batteries in a golf cart are different than a cell phone, I am just using that for an example. I don't know much about proper battery maintenance but am learning from this forum. This is a great place to learn things about golf carts.

Also, I read somewhere on this forum about proper break in procedure for batteries but I can find that thread again. It stated about running your cart down to I think 50% and then charge several times can improve your runtime. Is that correct? If anyone knows what thread that was, please let me know.

Thanks
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

I had asked the same question about charging. I don't get alot of seat time but when I do use the cart it may only be around 85/90% after use. Even though I barely used much energy I still connect the charger the next weekend or two the night before I will use the cart. I was told this isn't bad for the batteries at all.

Scotty told me this. I had asked if I should run them down to 50% which may take two or three weekends before connecting the charger.

You are fine. The statement was meant to emphasize not running the pack down too low. A shallow discharge to 90-85% capacity and recharge is fine...... the batteries can do that everyday for about 14 years according to Trojans technical info.
So shallow discharge and recharge, often.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I put a bunch of battery info on my website for anybody who cares to read it.
Wet cell batteries have the longest useful life when kept fully charged. So use them and then recharge. You can do this daily after a shallow discharge for 5000 times according to Trojan Battery Co. That's 13.7 years ... I have yet to see more than 9 years on a set.
Visit http://cartsunlimited.net/
Knowledge is power!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Wet cell batteries have the longest useful life when kept fully charged. So use them and then recharge. You can do this daily after a shallow discharge for 5000 times according to Trojan Battery Co. That's 13.7 years ... I have yet to see more than 9 years on a set.
Knowledge is power!
I do Scotty....
Old 07-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
Jazz24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Knowledge is power!
I appreciate the info!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car