lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
heypilch
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 99 EZ GO 36v question

On the surface, the idea of bigger tires creating more speed seems counter intuitive to me but I get it from a gearing standpoint. So here's my question. If a bigger tire size creates more top speed, does that also mean that it gets to a certain speed sooner than the same cart with stock sized tires? And if so, does THAT mean that speed is then achieved using less power (and therefore less draw) than the otherwise stock cart - or does the added torque requirement needed for getting those bigger tires to speed negate any power "savings"?

Purely an academic question - I was just curious.
heypilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by heypilch View Post
I just went back on the site and looked again (after I'd posted that question...of course).

Man, WHY do I always find myself in expensive hobbies? Bird watching is basically free, isn't it? I might look into that...

Thanks.
Binoculars, camera with long lens, books to ID species, ETC, ETc, Etc, etc ...
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
heypilch
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Binoculars, camera with long lens, books to ID species, ETC, ETc, Etc, etc ...
Old 07-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
On the surface, the idea of bigger tires creating more speed seems counter intuitive to me but I get it from a gearing standpoint. So here's my question. If a bigger tire size creates more top speed, does that also mean that it gets to a certain speed sooner than the same cart with stock sized tires? And if so, does THAT mean that speed is then achieved using less power (and therefore less draw) than the otherwise stock cart - or does the added torque requirement needed for getting those bigger tires to speed negate any power "savings"?

Purely an academic question - I was just curious.
Tire diameter is part of the final drive ratio, and changing the tire height has the same overall effect on speed and torque as changing the differential gear ratio.

With a single exception (maybe two), anytime you do anything that increases the cart's speed, the cart's torque is reduced by a similar amount.

The first exception is increasing the battery pack voltage will increase both speed and torque.
The "maybe" exception is if the high current loop has excessive resistance in it (Bad cables, dirty connections, burnt contacts, etc) fixing it will increase both speed and torque.

------------
Taller tires move the cart further in one revolution than shorter tires, but more torque is needed to turn them and more torque equates to more amps, so there is no power savings. In fact, carts with tall tires tend use more Amp-Hours per mile than carts with stock height tires due to the less than 100% efficiency of the drive system.

Also, a cart with stock height tires will accelerate from a stand-still to a given speed quicker than the same cart would on taller tires. This is simply because there is more torque where the rubber meets the road with the smaller tires.

-----------
I'll probably get some flack for this, but I believe most of the upgrades done to carts is to offset the torque loss caused by tall tires.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #15
heypilch
Not Yet Wild

That makes a lot of sense, thanks - great explanation!

I've just never messed with all electric vehicles before & don't really have a good grip on the ins and out yet
Old 07-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #16
heypilch
Not Yet Wild

OK new setup from Carts Unlimited on the way!
Old 07-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #17
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
OK new setup from Carts Unlimited on the way!
Oh yeah, excellent choice!!!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
That makes a lot of sense, thanks - great explanation!

I've just never messed with all electric vehicles before & don't really have a good grip on the ins and out yet
A couple thing to remember.
* Always flip Run/Tow switch to TOW before disconnecting or connecting any wires or cables. Wait at least 30 seconds after getting everything connected before putting back in RUN.

* The battery back is an arc welder. Avoid using tools long enough to touch two battery posts at same time. Batteries will explode with a dead short across the poles and sulfuric acid causes nasty burns!!!

* Deep-Cycle Lead-Acid Wet-Cell batteries do not have a memory, so recharge them after each use, or whatever is practical for your situation, but at least put on charge at night if used during day.

* Clean and water batteries routinely. (Monthly is typical)
Old 07-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #19
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Always remove watches and rings before working on batteries. I have a neighbor who has a "ring" scar where it got red hot while tightening cables. Gold conducts REAL good.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #20
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
A couple thing to remember.

* The battery back is an arc welder. Avoid using tools long enough to touch two battery posts at same time. Batteries will explode with a dead short across the poles and sulfuric acid causes nasty burns!!!
Worse than that, they give off hydrogen gas, which wants to turn into water REALLY BAD (explosively).
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO