lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
muskydawg
Not Yet Wild

Default polarity issues?

I put an alltrax 400A controller in my wife's cart, and the cart isn't working. The solenoid won't pull in, it seems like the cart is completely dead. I was going through, checking voltages and troubleshooting and found something that doesn't seem right. The solenoid is supposed to be battery +. But when I connect my voltmeter to the small screw on the solenoid and the negative on the batteries, I get zero volts. When I connect it to the positive on the batteries and the small screw, I measure full battery voltage. Would this not make the voltage at the solenoid battery -? It is the same when I measure the B+ pin on the controller.

If this is correct, why is the polarity reversed?

Thanks for your help.
muskydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: polarity issues?

the diode has a line on it. I believe that line represents the + side for wiring the solenoid. maybe this is the problem...
cableguy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
shaffer88
Gone Wild

As I have learned solenoids have no positive. You make the pos by which side you attach the diode has a line on it, line side indicates pos connect accordingly.
shaffer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:57 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If you reference your meter to battery positive, everything will read a negative voltage or zero.
If you reference your meter to battery negative, everything will read a positive voltage or zero.

Unless otherwise stated, all voltages are measured with negative test lead attached to battery pack's main negative terminal. See attached drawing.

As for the cart not working, need to know if cart has a series wound or sepex motor (AXE or DCX controller?) to troubleshoot system.

JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

This picture might help - you are looking for 36v reading between the 2 small posts when the gas peddle is pressed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistor & Diode 5-13.jpg (251.1 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
muskydawg
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the quick response guys. The cart is actually a Yamaha g19, unfortunately I didn't get a response on the Yamaha forum.

My solenoid does not have a diode on it, from what I understand the controller is supposed to switch the negative side. It just seems that for some reason the polarity is reversed. I only have a voltage when measuring between the solenoid and the positive side of the battery pack, which makes me think that the solenoid is B- and from what I can see it is supposed to be B+.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
muskydawg
Not Yet Wild

The controller is a DCX 400
Old 08-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskydawg View Post
The controller is a DCX 400
If the pedal switch was closed when you were making the voltage readings you mentioned in your first post, what you saw was normal.

B- is supplied to the solenoid coil when the pedal is pushed and if the coil is intact, you would measure Zero when your meter was referenced to B- and battery pack voltage with a negative sign when your meter is referenced to B+.

What you are missing is the B+ that is supposed to be applied to one of small solenoid terminals when Run/Tow is in Run and Keyswitch is ON.

Trace the red/white wire on one of the solenoid's small terminals back to where it is connected to two other red/white wires with a crimp type butt-splice.
I suspect that is where the problem is. But I might be wrong.

If it was my cart, I solder those three red/white wires together, coat the joint with Vaseline and protect it with a wire nut secured by electrical tape.

Now I've got go get my brain washed after looking at Yamaha stuff.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
muskydawg
Not Yet Wild

Thanks JohnnieB, I appreciate you stepping into the dark side! I have looked into it more and I think the problem is in the key switch circuit. I have power going through the run/tow switch, the key switch seems to work fine, but I don't have power at pin 6 on the controller, which is where the key switch power goes to. when I put power to pin 6 with a jumper, everything seems to work fine. On the drawing it says something about an accelerator switch (?) not sure what that is? maybe the problem is in there?

I will get out the vaseline and look for the splice you were talking about!

Thanks again!
Old 08-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

On the Alltrax schematic for a DCX in a G-19, the wire coming out of the keyswitch, feeds the Pedal (Accelerator) switch, the solenoid coil and Pin 6 on the Yamaha to DCX adapter.

I hate jumper wires, but that one did more or less confirm my guess, so I won't go after it with wire cutters.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO