lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Sarge50
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default RXV Differential whine no clunking

Hey folks, this is my first post and so far have learned a great deal this forum. I have a 2009 EZGO RXV I bought used. The Differential is making a loud whining sound. I changed out the fluid with 25 ounces of Oreilly Auto parts deluxe tractor fluid (sub for Mobile 254); it didn’t help. I removed the motor and spun the wheels and the diff is screaming with no load. Sounds like the upper pinion bearing is shot the intermediates may be bad as well. I downloaded the Dana manual that’s online but it does not cover the RXV. My Dana has a hard plastic looking seal and no lock ring at the input. I suspect the lock ring is behind the hard plastic cover. Anyone know how to remove the Pinion gear on a RXV? The Dana book says it will slide out when you remove the lock ring.

Thanks for reading.
Sarge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Marathon Man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Differential whine no clunking

Remove the seal first, then with snap ring plyers remove the snap ring. Give the input shaft a yank and I will slide right out. U may have to pick up on it slighty to get the inner bearing over the intermediate gear in the rear end.
Marathon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Sarge50
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Unhappy Re: RXV Differential whine no clunking

Thanks Marathon. After I posted I took another look and yes it is a seal. I could drill a couple holes and insert some sheet metal screws to remove the seal but I found a used diff on ebay and will replace the whole assy. If anyone is interested in a differential that needs new bearings. I have one for sale. I was going to replace all of the bearings and see how it sounds. The gears look ok but I don't have time to mess with it. After closer inspection the diff pan looks brand new. Looks like someone punched a hole in the pan and ran it dry.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

I was told that posi carrier will work in the older electric too. so that may help you in yore selling point.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
Sarge50
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Courtesy, I have been thinking, I may keep the old diff replace the bearings and install high speed gears. I am upgrading to 22 inch tires soon and dont need the extra gears, but I may rebuild it and see if anyone wants a complete quick change diff with new bearings and high speed 10 to 1 gears. Heck I might use it myself and build a speed cart.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
Marathon Man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

High speed gears are hard on the brake.
Marathon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO