lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
JGDUSC
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Accessory Battery Toast?

I have a deep cell marine batter I bought last year to run everything. Hadn't been on the cart in a while, Went out Friday night to show off to a friend and the joke was on me. Apparently my three year old assistant had flipped a switch and since I hadn't plugged it in to the on board charger, I thought it was dead. Plugged in in and let it sit over night but came back and it was still dead. Grabbed another little maintainer charger and it flashed as it error.

Meter said it was at 3.71. Is it done or do I just need a more powerful charger to get it back to life? Thanks!
JGDUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Accessory Battery Toast?

seeing as its a 12 deep cycle battery.....and its only showing 3.71 volts, I would say its TOAST. BUT, I personally would try to charge it using a standart automotive battery charger, what would it hurt? nothing.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Less than 4 volts is pushing it but what the hay.. You need an old style charger that will charge no matter what. Put it on the lowest charge setting and see what happens. The newer style fully auto chargers won't do it..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I recently killed my car battery by leaving the lights on for nearly one week. I assumed it was toast, but managed to charge it overnight and it load tested good and still works, so there may be hope. Especially since it probably has a relatively low demand for accessories. I used a BIG charger/load tester.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
seeing as its a 12 deep cycle battery.....and its only showing 3.71 volts, I would say its TOAST. BUT, I personally would try to charge it using a standart automotive battery charger, what would it hurt? nothing.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I have no experience with non-buggy deep cycle batteries, but on most car batteries, the fill lids can be opened, even if they look "sealed".
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I have, on occasion, connected a "too dead to kick the charger on" battery to my truck's battery with jumper cables, & let the truck run long enough to get the dead battery's voltage to a chargeable amount.....
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

One problem is that todays chargers have to sense a certain voltage, determine if the charge rate is correct, see a certain voltage rise in a predetermined time, etc. I have an ancient Sears charger that you just connect, plug in, and see what happens overnight. We get tons of batteries from the junkyard, let them charge for 24hrs, and see if they're any good. If it's a fairly new ( 2 -3 ) year old battery, they'll usually charge up and be fine. The newer chargers will say the battery is shot! The main problem is todays cars have a constant drain on the battery. If a car sits for a month or so, the battery will be totally discharged. If you take that battery, before it sits discharged for months more, it will usually charge and be useable again!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
Sarge50
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Check the warranty and if its still good, take it back for a replacement.
Sarge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
patgrim00
Gone Wild

Most marine battery companies will only warranty them for 1 year
patgrim00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO