lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
bbradf44
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Ez go marathon no go

I spent the past year fixing up my old marathon and I got it all working perfectly (except for breaks but that's a different thread) but recently I was driving it around and it just stopped running. All of the wires and cables are good and it's fully charged. What could be causing this?

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2
bbradf44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ez go marathon no go

Is it a resistor cart or a controller cart?

Does the solenoid click?

What is the battery Pack voltage?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
bbradf44
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Is it a resistor cart or a controller cart?

Does the solenoid click?

What is the battery Pack voltage?
Controller

Not sure what to hear for

Fully charged (I'm not near it right now so I can't see the exact voltage but it is fully charged)

Old 08-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The solenoid is a high current relay(or contactor) and makes a fairly loud clunking sound.
You should be able to hear it energizing when you push the pedal. (There might be a little dead space at the top of pedal travel, but no more than an inch or so).

If the solenoid isn't clicking, there's a problem in the solenoid activation circuit.
If it is clicking, there is a problem in the High current circuit.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
bbradf44
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

OK here's where I'm at. I'm pretty sure its a solenoid problem. I know this is a big no no but can anyone tell me HOW big? Like how long do you think I can drive on it? (If you can't see I put both cables on 1 terminal) it worked enough to get me home and actually works pretty well..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1375835690513.jpg (83.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You have eliminated the ONLY real safety device on the high current loop. I don't know what motor/controller type you have, but if anything goes wrong with throttle or controller, you could have a runaway cart. Your key switch, controller, and throttle micro are the only things that are needed for it to go.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
bbradf44
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
You have eliminated the ONLY real safety device on the high current loop. I don't know what motor/controller type you have, but if anything goes wrong with throttle or controller, you could have a runaway cart. Your key switch, controller, and throttle micro are the only things that are needed for it to go.
I have a Columbia par car high speed motor, not sure what kind of controller. Will this setup fry anything? I'm hoping I can use it till I can get a new solenoid

Old 08-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

The risk isn't that you'll fry anything IF everything else is in perfect working order. Your solenoid failed, so it's possible other things might also fail, leaving you with no way to stop. IF you choose to drive this way, be prepared to move the FNR to Neutral and turn the key off in a panic situation.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

The biggest risk I can imagine is if the throttle input to the controller somehow gets stuck on high, you'll have to remember to move the FNR to N first, which will kill power to the motor. Then the key switch will remove power from your controller. Probably very unlikely, and maybe no more risky than a throttle return spring going bad, BUT now your key switch won't open your solenoid, it will just kill power to your controller, which "should" kill everything. With a solenoid operable, any of a number of switch failures will open the solenoid.

I'm more familiar with my buggy wiring, so a Marathon may be different.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The solenoid shown is a 200 amp Albright. It is big enough for the 350 amp Curtis control shown. The solenoid may not have failed. Likely the failure is in the solenoid activation circuit. It takes + and - at the 2 small terminals to activate (close) the solenoid. Do you get 36v across the two small posts when you try to go? (without the solenoid bypassed as shown)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO