lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Tire size versus speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Maybe this is what you're looking for?
Good Stuff
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #12
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Don't thank me. I'm just a hoarder, and digital hoarding is usually neater. It can still get cluttered, but at least it doesn't grow cobwebs.

I think JohnnyB is the author.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That spreadsheet looks sorta familiar.

The PDS controller in freedom mode limits the motor RPM to about 4,400, which is about 18MPH on 18" tall tires and about 21MPH on 20" tall tires.

Be aware that with the 10% gain in speed you also lose 10% in torque.

----------
If you want more torque and more speed, replace the controller with an Altrax DCX400.
On stock height tires, that will up the speed to about 24MPH (~5,500RPM) with a 36V pack and about 28MPH (~6,500RPM) with a 42V pack.

Word of caution: Going downhill, you can over-rev the motor with this setup and stock height tires.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Speaking of over-reving, have you decided out whether you motor damage was mechanical or electrical? It looks like the motor and stator windings were doing bad things to each other, but I guess that could have been mechanical.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'm curious if this a a regen thing, or if I should worry about my series motor. Granted, my motor's built for high RPM, but everything has its limits, which I usually manage to find.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Speaking of over-reving, have you decided out whether you motor damage was mechanical or electrical? It looks like the motor and stator windings were doing bad things to each other, but I guess that could have been mechanical.
I haven't been able to dislodge the armature from the case, but I haven't seen any signs of burnt insulation, nor does it smell burnt, so I'm leaning towards a mechanical failure.

I removed the bolts holding the back of the case and the bolts holding the field windings in place and hit the output shaft with an 8lb sledge a few times, but only got the back part of the case to separate about 3/8".

I might be able to get some heavy bars in that space to hold the case still while pressure is applied to the armature, or cut the back part of the case
off and push it through the other way, but for the moment getting it apart is on hold while I get the cart going again. (Life has a way of interfering with fun)
Old 08-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
RitchCraft
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dela View Post
Congrats on the Street Legal!! That's awesome!

Down here we HAVE to get to 21 minimum to get plated, guess it's not the case in Ohio?
One of the criteria to pass the inspection here in Ohio, well at least my town any way, is to be able to brake to a stop within 40 feet going 20MPH. When I came to a full stop in less than 10 feet the inspector was quite confused and said I need to get to at least 20MPH. I told him the top speed of my cart was somewhere between 12 and 14MPH. At first I don't think he believed me so I offered him to take it through the brake test to see for himself. He declined and I thought he might fail the test because of this (I think he was actually supposed to). He smiled, put a check in the passed tick box, and said, "congratulations, you have the slowest cart in town." I didn't know whether to smile or hang my head low, LOL.

Yes yurtle, that is the chart I saw, thank you!
RitchCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I'm curious if this a a regen thing, or if I should worry about my series motor. Granted, my motor's built for high RPM, but everything has its limits, which I usually manage to find.
I suspect regen may have been a factor since it failed during heavy regen.
My guess is that the pull of the intense magnetic field being generated added to the centrifugal forces trying to pull the armature apart and the combination of the tow succeeded in doing exactly that.

I'm not sure how fast you spin your motor, but mine was spinning at about 7,600RPM when it failed, so I'm not planning on spinning my new motor quite that fast.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #19
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I don't have Excel loaded on this machine right now, but I hit 37.6 mph with stock gears and tires. Would go faster, but I run out of hill.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

With 18" tires and 12.44:1 gears, 37.6MPH is 8,735RPM.
But Carlisle Links Tires (Typical stock) are only 17.4" tall, which is 9,036RPM!!!!
That might be pushing the forces of Nature a tad.

I'd give AND a call and ask them what the max recommended RPM is for your motor, which will be conservative due to the lawyer and accountants on the committee that write the specs. My guess is that a 10% to 15% fudge factor would be safe and 20% would be in the realm of reality for a relatively new motor.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO