lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
Exchangegeek
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EZGO Series Cart - New Batteries - Horrible range

Is there a way to test the motor or controller or should I start replacing parts to improve the range on our 2005 EZGO Series Cart?

We recently bought a 2005 Series cart and brand new batteries and 2 AWG cables and we can get maybe 5 miles before the batteries are 50%. We have an LED meter but I also checked it with a voltmeter to make sure those readings are correct.

The range is terrible to say the least and I am willing to buy either a motor or controller to fix the problem but I don't know where to start. My gut tells me to test/replace the motor since it is what is pulling the power. The controller just regulates it right?
Exchangegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Series Cart - New Batteries - Horrible range

You mention that your battery pack is new and that you are getting down to 50% on a five mile ride. I agree that something is wrong but would start by getting more information on your battery pack. Is your cart 36v or 48v? How are you measuring your voltage to determine you are at 50%? Start by telling us what your voltage is when your pack is fully charged. Provide total pack voltage as well as individual battery voltage. If any of this is Greek to you, let us know and we can walk you through it. You need to get a digital volt meter (DVM) to get accurate voltage readings.
JMGreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
Exchangegeek
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the response. 36V system and I bought the batteries brand new myself and put them in. The cart runs just fine, just not for long!

I installed a cheap LED meter, but when I noticed the horrible range, I put a voltmeter on each battery and verified that they are indeed being discharged.

The range is so bad that my son attempted to go to his girlfriend's house (3 miles away) and the batteries dropped to 10% when he was almost home and could not drive anymore. He now knows about the 50% "rule" .
Old 04-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What brand and model batteries are they? Batteries have a date stamp on them on one of the two terminals, understanding you bought them new, verify the year they were made by checking the stamp. May be a code, by telling us the brand and model of your batteries, we can tell when they were made. What charger are you using? Can you verify the charger is getting your pack fully charged to 38.2V after a full charge?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If the cart has tall, low pressure tires, the battery pack made up of super economy grade batteries, not all 13 high current cables were replaced with 2Ga, the stock solenoid is being used and the stock F/R switch is being used, 5 miles just might be all the range the cart is ever going to get on a single charge until all components in the drive system are compatible.

What is the tire diameter?
What is the max air pressure stamped on their sidewall?
What is the Make and Model of the batteries (or at least the nominal voltage and AH rating - 6V-225AH is standard for a 36V cart with a series motor)
What battery charger are you using?
What is the pack voltage and individual battery voltages after the batteries have rested 12 hours after the charger shuts off automatically? (Typically 38.2V for a 36V pack and 6.37V for a 6V battery)
What type terrain was cart driven over?
Does the cart push freely by hand?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
Exchangegeek
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Stock 18" 8.50 wheels and tires. I used my compressor and got them up to 22 PSI as a test. I wanted to get the range problem sorted before I added additional stress of larger wheels and tires.

The terrain is moderate with mostly flat and a few small hills. We live in a Golf cart community so we have nice paved paths everywhere but some smallish hills.

The batteries are the Sam's Club Duracell which are the same ones I have in my TXT carts. I own three carts but this is my only Series cart. I have three "standard" Powerwise battery chargers and interchange them with the three carts. I put a voltmeter on each of the batteries to make sure they are charging and discharging evenly and I do not have an oddball in respect to charge. That was my first suspicion...a bad battery from the new pack.

The only real difference between this one and my other two is this is a Series cart and a couple of years older.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
Exchangegeek
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry, I did not respond to the push by hand question. Yes, we can push it. "Easily" is a relative term of course since none of my carts seem that easy to push!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #8
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Can you give us the voltage readings?
Old 04-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
Exchangegeek
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Its storming pretty bad so I will circle back with the battery voltage. I will fully charge them and record the individual batteries and the entire pack and then will run them to the store and back and record them again. This is my normal practice when I buy new batteries but I did not keep the stats.

Based on the questions you guys have it sounds like you want to rule out the batteries before you start thinking about the other components. Is that because it is rare for a motor and/or controller to be radically inefficient? I agree with your assessment which is why I spent $600 on new batteries. When we bought the cart, the range was terrible and one battery would not fully charge and so I bought 6 new ones from SAM's. I did my normal voltmeter checks and was shocked by how quickly the batteries discharge with normal use.

Lastly, I really appreciate your time and expertise. I will get back to you with the voltage readings.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Based on my experiance, and time learning on this forum, battery packs and how they are maintained and charged are typically associated with the problems you are having. Not to say it can't be the motor or controller, but 9 times out of 10, range issues are battery related.

More than likely it will take a few days of getting readings during your charge cyles, to determine what the issue is and what the next steps should be. I am no expert, but there are several on this forum who I am sure will be able to guide you in the right direction.

This forum is a great place and has helped me more times than I can count and introduced me to some great people. I am sure we will get to the root of your problem.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO