lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Series txt cuts in and out.

I'm working on a EZGO series for a friend not sure of the exact model but it is newer than 2001. It is cutting in and out at times.
What I have checked so far: solenoid clicks (activation circuit is good) and it does not click out when the cart loses power. I have checked voltage to the red wire on controller, and I have pack voltage. Press the pedal and have around 9 or 10 volts on the black wire (unhook the black wire and the controller has 14.1 volts). That made me suspect the ITS so I swapped it with the one in my cart and got the same results.
Cleaned the F&R switch even bypassed it. Same results.
My only conclusion is the .solenoid. It has a high amp Curtis controller, high speed motor and a standard solenoid. Even though solenoid is working and it has pack voltage on both sides I wonder if the contacts are bad enough not to supply enough amps? Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1401849483865.jpg (49.3 KB, 0 views)
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #2
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Add pic of the solenoid. It does get pretty warm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1401850588854.jpg (53.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-04-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Series txt cuts in and out.

When a solenoid doesn't click it is not going to furnish power to make the cart go. The red wires on the small solenoid terminal should have battery voltage B+ when it clicks and the other side B-. It might not be the cause of cart not moving. If you measure system voltage across the small terminals and it don't click it is bad. If you loose voltage on the red wire when the cart stops then the problem is in the activation circuits. You can waste a lot of time and money guessing at and changing out components you think is the trouble. The time to make the measurements is when the cart stops. The solenoid may need upgrading but it may not be the problem. More information of exact model cart would help.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #4
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The solenoid is clicking and working fine. I was just saying it didn't click out when the cart loses power. The cart moves it just shutters in and out sometimes. That's why I was wondering about the contacts on the large terminals of the solenoid. Could it be in the controller or motor.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:41 AM   #5
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray70 View Post
The solenoid is clicking and working fine. I was just saying it didn't click out when the cart loses power. The cart moves it just shutters in and out sometimes. That's why I was wondering about the contacts on the large terminals of the solenoid. Could it be in the controller or motor.
I'm sorry I misread your post. Monitor the voltage on the big solenoid terminals when cart stutters. If the contacts are bad there will be a voltage difference on the side feeding the controller/motor. Would like more information on the exact model cart drive system. (series, pds, etc)
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks, it is a series cart just not sure the exact year because the tag is missing, however it does have the 4 bolt steering Column. I will try to monitor the output voltage on the solenoid and see if it drops out. Thanks again!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Based on your post, I'm assuming this is a series buggy. If you look at a wiring diagram, you see that a number of switches have to be in working order, to supply pack voltage to the small terminals of the solenoid. Intermittent problems are the hardest to troubleshoot, but carry a DMM and see if you're getting pack voltage at the small solenoid terminals. You have a reed switch (some models), a key switch, a microswitch on the FNR and on the throttle. You also could have a bad wire, or a lug that is corroded or loose. If the solenoid doesn't click, ignore the big high current circuit until the solenoid reliably works (clicks).
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yesterday I cleaned the ring terminals on the solenoid's large circuit and unplugged and checked the 4 pin molex connector and plugged it back in and it hasn't missed a beat since. I have a HD solenoid on the way because it only has the standard one on it with the larger motor and controller and it gets rather warm. I'll keep driving it and let you know what happens. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If you're talking about the 4 pin MOLEX plug that goes to the throttle box, there have been a number of complaints about this, including me. One day, I'll remove it and simply solder the MS and ITS cables. It only happens a couple of times a year on mine, and usually unplugging and replugging it solves the problem.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #10
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It looked fine, but it might have not been making a good connection. I might cut it out and splice it back.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO