lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
FireBall
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Stock clutch on G9 Yamaha

i'm trying to figure out if my stock clutch is messed up i'm takin my old g9 and puttin a 14 hp onan lawn tractor engine in it that has a horizonal shaft and i had an adapter machined to put the stock clutch on but i'm trying to figure out how the clutch on the engine works i fired the motor up on the floor of my shop and time the motor starts the clutch closes up and when you shut the motor down the clutch will not open back up unless i pull it back open with my hands what could be wrong any help would be great thx
FireBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stock clutch on G9 Yamaha

Thats the way a factory clutch is designed to work.

I am not certian about yamaha carts, but for many when they convert their cart to a different engine.. ie. big block, or something that idles, you need to put a special clutch spring that will keep it open when idling. I just dont know if something exists for the yamaha factory clutch.
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
FireBall
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterezgokid View Post
Thats the way a factory clutch is designed to work.

I am not certian about yamaha carts, but for many when they convert their cart to a different engine.. ie. big block, or something that idles, you need to put a special clutch spring that will keep it open when idling. I just dont know if something exists for the yamaha factory clutch.
thx man i'll have to look into it if they don't i might be screwed
Old 06-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBall View Post
i'm trying to figure out if my stock clutch is messed up i'm takin my old g9 and puttin a 14 hp onan lawn tractor engine in it that has a horizonal shaft and i had an adapter machined to put the stock clutch on but i'm trying to figure out how the clutch on the engine works i fired the motor up on the floor of my shop and time the motor starts the clutch closes up and when you shut the motor down the clutch will not open back up unless i pull it back open with my hands what could be wrong any help would be great thx
Any primary clutch should "release" after rpm is let off. The later g1 thru G14 all used the same 3 weight style clutch. The only grease you want is on the 2 bushings pressed into the floating flange. Try greasing the clutch at the zerk fitting,then wipe out the excess grease that will come out of the seal. It should move in and out with very little effort. Show us some pic's of your build. We all love pic's and many others can learn from your adventure. Later Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
FireBall
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Any primary clutch should "release" after rpm is let off. The later g1 thru G14 all used the same 3 weight style clutch. The only grease you want is on the 2 bushings pressed into the floating flange. Try greasing the clutch at the zerk fitting,then wipe out the excess grease that will come out of the seal. It should move in and out with very little effort. Show us some pic's of your build. We all love pic's and many others can learn from your adventure. Later Dave
thx dave after a few hours of scratchin my head and thinking bout it i think i've finally got it straightened out as for my build its the same G9 from other build with the jeep body i've just changed a few things around and i'm making it into a offroad woods buggy the back is naked lmao and in the middle nothing but a seat frame,one seat,and a console along with the jeep body on the front lol and my custom built dump bed on the back i custom fitted 23" super lug tires and 12" rims off a rally garden tractor on the back and 23" turf tread tires on 12" rims from a john deere 210 lawn tractor on the front its got a decently wide stance its turnin out just like i wanted which is very diffrent anyway i'm back on subject now
Old 06-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Those yamaha clutches dont have a return spring in them. The ezgo's and club cars do.

Check it if you dont believe me, take your belt off, and push the clutch in, it will not come back out.
When the cart is fully setup.. ie with a belt, its the belt and driven clutch that causes the drive clutch to open back up once you let off the pedal.

Thats why im pretty sure they dont have "high rev" spring kits for yamahas. just torque spring kits for the driven clutch.

Fireball your probably going to need to go with a comet 780 or similar 1190 clutch for your application to make it function properly and idle.
But you could get away with the factory clutch if you are still able to use the factory starter to start up your new engine just like the original cart engine ran when you pressed the pedal.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:30 AM   #7
FireBall
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterezgokid View Post
Those yamaha clutches dont have a return spring in them. The ezgo's and club cars do.

Check it if you dont believe me, take your belt off, and push the clutch in, it will not come back out.
When the cart is fully setup.. ie with a belt, its the belt and driven clutch that causes the drive clutch to open back up once you let off the pedal.

Thats why im pretty sure they dont have "high rev" spring kits for yamahas. just torque spring kits for the driven clutch.

Fireball your probably going to need to go with a comet 780 or similar 1190 clutch for your application to make it function properly and idle.
But you could get away with the factory clutch if you are still able to use the factory starter to start up your new engine just like the original cart engine ran when you pressed the pedal.
i believe you man i'ma figure somthin out trying to avoid buying another clutch lol but if it comes down to it i'ma have to be a little less stingy with the cash
Old 06-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

You said that your new engine was 14hp.. i think you could easily get away with using the original cart starter generator to start your new engine just like how the old one ran.. Start when you push the pedal, off when you let off the pedal.. then you dont need to idle your engine, and can use the factory clutch..

Those yamaha factory clutches are very good, they can almost be completely rebuilt when parts wear out
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!