lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
Ron Jon
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Bounce in newly lifted DS

Recently had my 2005 DS lifted with Jakes 3 inch spindle kit and got new tires and rims. When I pick up speed on a straightaway, the rear end starts bouncing pretty hard. Thought the rims might need balancing, like a car, but I called the shop that did it and the guy said sometimes the lug nuts don't get centered when they're put on and this can cause the bounce. Does this sound right?
Ron Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Bounce in newly lifted DS

Never seen that happen before,maybe you have to much or not enough air in the tires.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

How about changing the tire position. Put the backs on the front and the front on the back. See if it starts bouncing in the front. Narrow the possibilities, cheapest process first. If it still bounces in the back, you've eliminated the tire/wheel issue and you know to go to something else. If it bounces in the front, see if you can tell which side it's more pronounced on. Then, you've probably got the one tire/wheel causing the problem. Hope that helps.
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Jack it up, put it on stands and spin the wheels, if it's bouncing, you should be able to spot the trouble.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
TDAWG
Gone Wild

What kind of tires and rims did you get? I have seen some cheap sets that turned out not to be exactly round and would cause a bounce at speed. Like someone said, you should be able to spot it with rear on jackstands. "Round" is kind of important in a tire.
TDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

So, what have you found? Keep us updated.
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
morepower
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Lesser quality tires can have excessive force variation run-out. The side wall crush rate is different from one spot to the next. This can happen on any tire. It will be more apparent if pressures are extemely low or high. Cold tire temperatures make the condition more apparent. Not to say this is your problem but another possibility.
morepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think your installer is crazy as its nearly impossible to have "LUG NUT NOT CENTERED" unless they have installed INCORRECT WHEELS OR TIRES???
I would do the following things below right away as if there is something wrong the installers will have to warentee it for you.
I have found that new tires or one that have sat for long periods of time have flat spots in them until they have been warmed up several times. Some tire suppliers fold the tires for shipping and this causes them to be out of round also. I would try and get them hot by running them at least several time until hot to the touch IF POSSIBLE in this COLD WEATHER COVERING ALMOST ALL OF THE USA? And then see if that helps? If Not do as Spoiled Rotten said and switch tires around and try and spot which tires or tire is causing problem. It also could be that when tires were mounted they put excess air in above recommended pressure to seat the tires to rims? Look on side wall and then air them to some point below that rating as its a MAX rather than a running pressure.
Then if that doesnt work I would do as DOUGMCP said and jack cart up and check for croocked wheel or tires. I take a block of wood tall enough to be close to tire and wheel highth and then rotate the tire BY HAND and check with a ruler or something like it close to either wheel or tire for out of round. Remember that all wheels and tires will be some minor out of round and if so wont hurt.
GOOD LUCK
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
Ron Jon
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

nearly impossible to have "LUG NUT NOT CENTERED"

That's what I thought. Appreciate the feedback from everyone. I've talked to the installer and they're going to make it right.
Ron Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #10
dougmcp
Gone Wild

After your installer is done, be sure to let us know what the problem was.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car