lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
konipaul
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2001 EZGO TXT gas - Drive clutch removal

I'm trying to replace my drive clutch (it's a comet duster clutch) on my 2001 ezgo txt (gas). When I take the bot out of the clutch, it hits the frame so I can't pull it out all the way. I'm assuming the puller won't go in either.

Any suggestions? Do I need to loosen a motor mount and tip the engine?
konipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2020, 10:35 AM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 EZGO TXT gas - Drive clutch removal

If its got a lift kit you are better off removing the engine. There is just not enough room otherwise.
No lift kit and I have removed many especially if rear spring bushing are worn out
I would always get another person to push up on top if cart didn't have a lift on it and you would be able to get a homemade puller in there
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:56 PM   #3
konipaul
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It doesn't have a lift kit. By jacking up frame and disconnecting drivers side rear suspension, will the motor/drive clutch drop low enough to clear frame? It would need to drop a few inches to get the bolt out.

I can't even get the bolt out how it sits now.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:44 PM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by konipaul View Post
It doesn't have a lift kit. By jacking up frame and disconnecting drivers side rear suspension, will the motor/drive clutch drop low enough to clear frame? It would need to drop a few inches to get the bolt out.

I can't even get the bolt out how it sits now.
You can get it out. I have did it many times.
Push on the rear top strut on drivers side and see if your clutch goes down. If it does then have a helper do it while you remove the bolt. If not then take the bolts out of rear spring and it should give you more room when you push on left side top strut. I know I did one a few months ago that was easy but the rear spring bushing were gone . I was able to remove the bolt with the air wrench using a flex socket.
Is your drive clutch bad ? You can remove the cover without removing the drive clutch while still on engine. Weights stick sometimes but I am sure you already know that.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:59 PM   #5
konipaul
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Drive clutch is bad. Was going to remove cover, pucks and outside sheave then clean it up and see if that works. Clutch bolt hits frame when you try to remove it so I didn't know where to go from there.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:10 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by konipaul View Post
Drive clutch is bad. Was going to remove cover, pucks and outside sheave then clean it up and see if that works. Clutch bolt hits frame when you try to remove it so I didn't know where to go from there.
No problem. Let us know if you have success in removing it. Like I mentioned I have removed several without too much trouble. If your rear springs are stiff then yes it will be an issue. Personally I would try and get it off without removing the engine.

Tags
clutch, drive, ezgo, removal
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO