lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2020, 09:18 AM   #1
BigDaddy325
Not Yet Wild

Default 1991 EZGO No Power

Hi all,

I just got my parents 1991 EZGO running after a valve tune (thanks to this forum), and it's got a brand new carburetor as well.

After it sits, I can start it and it will take off around 11MPH, but shortly after it slows down to 5-6MPH. I've played with the governer and didn't notice any change in speed.

What are my options here, fuel pump? Bad gas (it's been sitting in the cart since they got it over a year ago)?

Thanks in advance, this forum has been a great resource.
BigDaddy325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2020, 03:46 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1991 EZGO No Power

This is going to take more diagnosing to eliminate possibilities.
It could be a fuel delivery problem, or it could be a clutch, and belt problem.

Upload some pictures, and measure how wide the belt is to start.

A YouTube video of it running, and clutch operation would be great too.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:02 PM   #3
BigDaddy325
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
This is going to take more diagnosing to eliminate possibilities.
It could be a fuel delivery problem, or it could be a clutch, and belt problem.

Upload some pictures, and measure how wide the belt is to start.

A YouTube video of it running, and clutch operation would be great too.
Hey there, thanks for responding.

Here's footage of the issue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLzgUE99Lgw

For about 5 minutes it runs like a top, but then loses power.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:22 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

That drive clutch is definitely not working. This video shows how it is supposed to look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Dpo1GfZ4Q

This guy shows you how to remove the clutch, and open it up. I would give it a good cleaning, and see if you can fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlTSYqGbgHk
Old 05-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #5
BigDaddy325
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
That drive clutch is definitely not working. This video shows how it is supposed to look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Dpo1GfZ4Q

This guy shows you how to remove the clutch, and open it up. I would give it a good cleaning, and see if you can fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlTSYqGbgHk
Darn, was hoping it would be an easier fix. The engine seems like it's not running at full power, is that symptomatic of non functioning clutch? I was expecting it to be fuel/air issues.

I appreciate the info and the links!
Old 05-10-2020, 06:59 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Through my speakers, that engine sounded fine. When you were sitting in neutral, that clutch should have immediately squeezed in.

Let's have a few more people watch the video, and see what they think. Maybe their opinions will differ. Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:46 PM   #7
newtjl
Gone Wild

When it bogs down, will applying some choke give it some zip? I agree with cart around that the clutch isnt closing enough but I cant tell if thats because of the clutch or because of low rpms. It seems that if it was the clutch, it wouldnt start out strong, then die off after a few minutes. The linkage to the carb is adjustable so you my try shortening it a bit to see if that makes any difference. Just make sure not to shorten it so much that the carb cannot close, that will cause backfires. If it does wind up being the clutch, dont worry about it, its not complex or hard to get out with the right tools. Another thing to check is to look at your fuel filter. Does it have the same amount of fuel in it when its running poorly as it does when running well?
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:10 AM   #8
BigDaddy325
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Through my speakers, that engine sounded fine. When you were sitting in neutral, that clutch should have immediately squeezed in.

Let's have a few more people watch the video, and see what they think. Maybe their opinions will differ. Maybe I'm missing something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtjl View Post
When it bogs down, will applying some choke give it some zip? I agree with cart around that the clutch isnt closing enough but I cant tell if thats because of the clutch or because of low rpms. It seems that if it was the clutch, it wouldnt start out strong, then die off after a few minutes. The linkage to the carb is adjustable so you my try shortening it a bit to see if that makes any difference. Just make sure not to shorten it so much that the carb cannot close, that will cause backfires. If it does wind up being the clutch, dont worry about it, its not complex or hard to get out with the right tools. Another thing to check is to look at your fuel filter. Does it have the same amount of fuel in it when its running poorly as it does when running well?
It sounds to me (in person) that the engine bogs down after the first couple minutes and doesn't have the rpm's to engage the clutch. You'll notice in my video that when I floor it in neutral off the bat, it doesn't engage (low-ish rpm) but I quickly let off the gas and reapply and it spins up fine. The fuel filter is maybe 60% full whether it's running well or not.

I haven't tried choking it while running, but since my last post I've taken off the airbox and now it seems to stay running around 11-13mph on flat ground, but still bogs down to nearly 4mph on inclines.

Some updated info:

When I adjusted the valve gapping, I set it to .006 instead of .004. I took out the new spark plugs and noticed what seems to be carbon fouling. I also removed the gas hose from the carb and cranked the engine while holding it over a bucket. Not sure what kind of pressure I should be seeing. It was consistent but looked like it was "pouring" out of the hose rather than spewing/spraying. When blocking the hose with my thumb, it took barely any pressure to stop the gas from coming out
Old 05-11-2020, 07:04 PM   #9
newtjl
Gone Wild

Pouring is fine, it just has to keep the bowl filled when its running. I suspected that perhaps it was emptying the bowl and not filling it fast enough which would explain why it run well for the first few minutes, then seem to bog down after. These fuel pumps operate on crankcase pressure so they dont have a lot of pressure.

Here is what I would do if someone brought it to me and described the symptoms you have mentioned:

1. Put in neutral and try the choke when it bogs. If that doesnt help I would,

2. Try some new plugs. Your current ones likely got fouled up when the valves were out of adjustment. If that doesnt help I would,

3. Disconnect the throttle linkage and open the throttle by hand to ensure it is opening enough. If that doesnt help I would,

4. Jury rig up a small bottle of gas and a fuel line a feed the carb manually through gravity to ensure the pump isnt starving the bowl on the carb. If that doesnt help I would,

5. Try adjusting the carb. It should have a screw on the top underneath a plastic cover that pops off. Run it in to a soft seat, then out 1 1/2 turns to start and adjust from there.

Before you do all of that, you may want to measure your drive belt. As cart around said, it could be worn out too. It should be 1 3/16 wide. Thats an easy thing to check.

If all of this fails, you likely have a clutch problem.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:09 PM   #10
newtjl
Gone Wild

Before I forget, a minor detail. Thats not a 1991, its later. You may want to check the date before you order any parts although many of the later parts are the same as a 1991 four stroke Marathon. Yours is 1994 or later.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO