lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2020, 02:44 AM   #1
thaatsriite
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 97 DS build

Hello all, hopefully I am posting this correctly after reading the forum rules.

Picked up a 97 DS 36v cart Friday. It moved under its own power but was lacking. Previous owners put new batteries in last year and said it just never went fast after that, so they bought a gas cart and left this one to sit. Here I am to do a little CPR and get it right.
thaatsriite is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2020, 03:16 AM   #2
thaatsriite
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 97 DS build

Power washed the outside then pulled the roof and body. Once I had it opened up I saw how bad and mostly loose the connections were, I realized why it didn’t run well. I did some research, read scottyb’s write up on the conversion and since I plan to lift and run 22-23 inch tires, I decided to replace/upgrade everything. So I gutted the cables and pulled the batteries. Looking at ordering the C54 or C64 kit from carts unlimited. Unless there are better options I’m open to input, but That seems to give me everything I need in one shot. Planning to keep the 36v battery set since they are fresh and in good shape as well as running the stock motor until it lets the smoke out. Going to power wash the frame and underside in the next day or two. Amazing how light it is without the batteries.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:32 AM   #3
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hopefully the year the previous owners let the batteries sit they took care of them! May want to check water level and voltages on them now. I would hate for you to get the conversion finished up then have to add in diagnosing a bad pack.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Nice cart!
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:51 PM   #5
thaatsriite
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Daddy View Post
Hopefully the year the previous owners let the batteries sit they took care of them! May want to check water level and voltages on them now. I would hate for you to get the conversion finished up then have to add in diagnosing a bad pack.
i did indeed check them over before i removed them, and they were good to go. it was actually on the charger when i picked it up. i have them off the floor and will use the old cables that arent shot to make a setup to charge them regularly while they are out of the cart. if they do end up being an issue, then its just 48v faster than i hoped for and i'll already be set for it.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:00 PM   #6
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ha thaatsriite, nice looking cart and a great foundation to start with. The guys here are great and will help you out if needed.

Terry your neighbor in Varina.
Goober11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:08 AM   #7
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Wow! For a 97, that's a super clean GC! Good luck on the build, I'll be following!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:19 AM   #8
thaatsriite
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Got around to cleaning the frame up a bit, nowhere local had any aluminum cleaner so took a page from here and ordered some eagle one mag wheel cleaner. Could have used another bottle but I think it’s good enough for what I need. first pic is straight pressure washed with no cleaner. Second is after two rounds of eagle one with minimal agitation and rinsing with pressure washer. Battery tray area is a bit worse off but still solid, I may scrap that area a bit more. Eagle one worked really well, another round or two would have really had it right.

Lift, rear upper bushings and new ball joints are here, wheels/tires and progressive leafs will be here mid week. Thanks for the comments, the girls and I are having a good time so far, and surprisingly the boss is pretty stoked about the whole thing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48167DA5-106A-47BB-AC5A-2BC1483DAA16.jpg (377.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 37985612-0F6F-4F7F-8B82-61F32446F0F2.jpg (364.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-06-2020, 06:45 AM   #9
wuntunearlybko
Not Yet Wild

that looks awesome. your situation sounds exactly (i mean identically) to my situation a year ago. new batts, cart hardly ran, ended up replacing everything and now she's a beast!

good luck and excited to see what you do with it!
wuntunearlybko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:29 AM   #10
thaatsriite
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Installed the front lift, all new ball joints and cleaned /regressed the spindles after work And cutting grass Saturday, noticed the shocks are dead, so I need to order a set. Wheels haven’t come yet so the stocks are on so I could get it on the ground, I don’t leave anything on jack stands because of the wife and kids coming through the garage So often. Makes me feel better. Grabbed new bolts and had ordered new upper bushings for the rear shackles and leaf install. I’m not even going to bother trying to get the old bolts loose. That’s what cutting wheels are for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FF583B06-C2C8-4038-B90B-21092E149E85.jpg (158.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg FDACE1BB-7E06-4195-A634-7D200D78EF05.jpg (227.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car