lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2020, 12:02 PM   #1
five5cooks
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 86 Marthon Build Log

I was able to acquire an 86 EzGo Marathon last weekend. I am hoping to get this rebuilt over the course of this month and have it ready to roll. The plan at this point is to strip the cart down to the frame and rebuild it like a Phoenix. I plan to document the process as well as seek some guidance along the way. We have the old metal body stripped off already. As you can imagine, it did not want to let go without a little bit of a fight. The battery racks are completely shot, so those will be rebuilt along with some modification to the seat rails by a buddy with some welding skills. Still debating on swapping over to 48v ( this would mean I would need a new charger ). It is already sporting a lift kit and ATV tires from the previous owner so that is a plus. We will also be slipping on a TXT body shell that we picked up off of a refit to replace the old metal. I think the consensus is that Alltrax is the way to go for the speed controller which will necessitate finding a pot box for the accelerator. Pictures will be coming soon.
five5cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2020, 07:32 PM   #2
Elthomas195
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 86 Marthon Build Log

Following
Elthomas195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:42 PM   #3
five5cooks
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So the first hiccup came yesterday as we discovered that the drivers side axle bearing had disintegrated for lack of a better description. Of course in the process it chewed the axle housing to an unserviceable state. A little research made it clear that my 86 Marathon was going to be an issue. The axle is still available, but the housing is not. To top that, other years have a different bolt pattern to the differential. After hours and hours of searching, a trip to look at a possible donor cart (that's a whole other story), followed by some more searching, I think I have a plan. This build should be painted green and called Frankenstien, when we are done it will have parts from multiple carts. On a side not, we were able to notch the seat assembly to fit the TXT body on the frame. I will take my wins where I can this weekend.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:43 PM   #4
five5cooks
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So today I called in reinforcements. Took my axle tube by a local cart shop to get an expert opinion. Needless to say, he is going to rebuild my axle assembly for a modest cost. Definitely cheaper and less work than a completely new rear end assembly. The axle is pretty pitted from the where it was spun, but hopefully that will be an easy enough replacement. I also was able to source a new roof assembly and supports from a buddy who has some spare parts. if the price is right, these will be additions to the FrankenKart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3833small.jpg (356.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3846small.jpg (362.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-01-2020, 10:04 PM   #5
five5cooks
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This afternoon I picked up my axle from the shop. Apparently the tube was a little scarred up in its earlier life, but was salvageable. The thing that we found on the new axle was that the hole for cotter pin was not centered for the castle nut. A little extra bending and it should not come loose. After a conversation at the shop about the options that would work for this rebuild the consensus was that this was going to be a lot of work. Oddly enough, I knew that already, nothing has really been easy so far. Back to work on FrankenKart.
Old 10-02-2020, 02:50 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Nice beater cart, love it. Should a kept it a "slant nose" tho. Glad the locals were able to solve the axle problem. Are you sure it isnt older than '86? Does your motor point towards the front, or "sideways"? (This will be important later, when you want more performance, or to find motor parts & options). Axle/motor pics are always good. Not talking no smack, just assessing the cart, to have good answers for the future questions you will surely have over the course of a total rebuild.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:15 PM   #7
five5cooks
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes, it is an 86. Motor is running parallel to the axle. The old nose was looking rough, hence the decision to swap out to the TXT shell. The plan is to gut the old resistor system and install an Alltrax sr48500. It is probably overkill for what this cart needs, but the difference in price seems to lend itself as a viable option. Gives me the option for 48 V in the future, but 36 will be fine for now.

I am thinking the PB-6 is going to be the easiest method to upgrade my throttle controller. I looked at the electronic throttle assembly and it seems like more trouble than it is worth. Next up is going to be a little welding to rebuild my battery bay. That was pretty well toast.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:30 PM   #8
five5cooks
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Back to the build for Franken-Cart. All the running gear except the SW200 have been ordered, and should be in next week. This has been a slow project, but I have gotten back on track over the last few weeks. Upgrading an older cart is not for the faint of heart apparently. Sadly I think the only thing used from the original cart will be the frame and front axle assemblies. I cut out the crusty old battery tray (what was left of it) and replaced that with a drop in aluminum upgrade. Welded in a new crossbar to mount the front of battery tray. The 86 Marathon also had an odd rear end and motor setup, so that has been replaced with a donor from a 95 Medalist and a new set of Heavy Duty Springs. Pictures coming soon.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:57 AM   #9
GolfNfool
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by five5cooks View Post
Back to the build for Franken-Cart. All the running gear except the SW200 have been ordered, and should be in next week. This has been a slow project, but I have gotten back on track over the last few weeks. Upgrading an older cart is not for the faint of heart apparently. Sadly I think the only thing used from the original cart will be the frame and front axle assemblies. I cut out the crusty old battery tray (what was left of it) and replaced that with a drop in aluminum upgrade. Welded in a new crossbar to mount the front of battery tray. The 86 Marathon also had an odd rear end and motor setup, so that has been replaced with a donor from a 95 Medalist and a new set of Heavy Duty Springs. Pictures coming soon.
Were in the same boat. To swap my Marathon over to AC it had to be converted to club car electronics.
GolfNfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:46 PM   #10
five5cooks
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Couple of images from todays adventure. New outer rails and supports welded on. I have to admit, this welding thing is a pretty cool trick. Used 2x2 angle welded the the frame for the supports and then 1x1 angle to run the length. I am assuming I got this done correctly since I was able to pick the cart up by the supports. I also welded an extra tab at the end to help secure the body once it is back on. I am thinking the TXT body will need some trimming to fit on the Marathon frame. My spring hangers are hitting on the back end where the well drops in-between the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2408.jpg (253.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2434.jpg (334.3 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO