lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2022, 10:52 AM   #21
five5cooks
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 86 Marthon Build Log

Ok so a few hours logged working on what we are tentatively calling "Frankie" this morning before it got miserably hot outside. My new instrument panel arrived yesterday from The Cart Depot, that was really quick. After ciphering on it and looking over the parts drawings from a newer 2008 cart I committed to cutting the top metal dash plate off of the Marathon. The grinder with the cutting wheel made quick work and a fairly straight line for my amateur machining status. It became apparent that the new dash would need to be cut also, so back to the grinder and the underside of the cup holder was easily removed. A quick notch to clear the steering assembly allowed the new instrument panel an almost perfect fit. I used a few rivets to secure the assembly in place so that I could begin working on the cowl. I am pretty sure that the cowl that I have is newer than the 94-13 instrument panel. The IP has almost a long swooping curve which doesn't allow the cowl to fit flush. I am making a few calls now to locate a different cowl to try for a better fit. I think that I could force this, but I think that will put more stress than I would like on the assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2471.jpg (271.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2473.jpg (186.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2476.jpg (219.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2480.jpg (215.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2479.jpg (233.7 KB, 0 views)
five5cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2022, 07:29 PM   #22
five5cooks
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So after a little more investigation, I pulled the instrument panel back off of the cart. Verified that the cowl does indeed fit, which tells me that maybe I initially had the panel on too tight to begin with or it may need a few shims. I planned on going ahead and dropping some rivets in to verify the placement of the IP. I am going to switch and use some 1/4 bolts tomorrow to attach the two in the morning. I have a feeling its gonna be interesting getting the nuts on the bolts, I am thinking super glue to hold in place until I can get the bolt started. I will post updates in the morning.
Old 07-09-2022, 01:49 PM   #23
five5cooks
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This saga is reaching an end as the parts begin to finally arrive and I am beginning to develop a full picture of what the final project will look like. I did get the instrument panel installed this morning. I used the 1/4in bolts to hold the panel to the cowl so that I could get it properly positioned on the cart. I was then able to drop in a couple of bolts to hold the panel to the frame while I placed 3 or 4 rivets up each side along the lip. After that was in place, I was able to remove the cowl and set it to the side to be prepped for painting. My Alltrax controller, 202SW, 400a solenoid and D&D motor have all arrived at this point in the build. I have been thinking through where would be the best place to mount the 202 and controller and feel like the area just above the motor looks like it should work. It is out of the way but still fairly accessible while keeping wire runs fairly short. Any thoughts on pros or cons for this location?
Old 07-11-2022, 07:39 PM   #24
five5cooks
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The final pieces of the puzzle showed up this evening when I got home from work. My new throttle assembly was sitting on the front porch, patiently waiting. It is honestly now just a matter of putting everything together in the appropriate spots, the finish line is within sight. The plan is to begin to mount the new motor and electronics tomorrow and begin building my cable set. Pictures coming soon.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:44 AM   #25
GolfNfool
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by five5cooks View Post
The final pieces of the puzzle showed up this evening when I got home from work. My new throttle assembly was sitting on the front porch, patiently waiting. It is honestly now just a matter of putting everything together in the appropriate spots, the finish line is within sight. The plan is to begin to mount the new motor and electronics tomorrow and begin building my cable set. Pictures coming soon.
What motor setup are you going with?
GolfNfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:43 AM   #26
bwhitsonjr
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Really like what I'm seeing. Can't wait for pictures !
bwhitsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 03:04 PM   #27
five5cooks
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I went with the D&D Motor Systems spec'd for the large wheels and 500a controller. Came recommended by a buddy who builds custom carts for a living. I was able to pick this up for less than his dealer cost from them.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:15 PM   #28
GolfNfool
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I went with the D&D Motor Systems spec'd for the large wheels and 500a controller. Came recommended by a buddy who builds custom carts for a living. I was able to pick this up for less than his dealer cost from them.
Nice!!! Still using resistors or did you convert to a controller?

And where is this old school drivers club located? I plan on keeping the exterior true to form (minus the guts which are all gone)...
GolfNfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 05:05 PM   #29
five5cooks
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfNfool View Post
Nice!!! Still using resistors or did you convert to a controller?

And where is this old school drivers club located? I plan on keeping the exterior true to form (minus the guts which are all gone)...
I converted the cart from resistors to solid state, using the Alltrax SR48500. I hate to admit that the frame and front axle is about all that is left from the original Marathon.

The Old School Drivers Club is located in the General Discussion area under Drivers Clubs.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:01 AM   #30
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
where would be the best place to mount the 202 and controller and feel like the area just above the motor looks like it should work. It is out of the way but still fairly accessible while keeping wire runs fairly short. Any thoughts on pros or cons for this location?
It will likely be fine, but I do know that if you go slow a lot or tow anything or fight hills in the cart the motor can get quite hot. I ended up putting in a some fans to blow on the motor when I need to abuse it... I bought four 12v fans so they'd run off my pack. They worked incredibly well... I thought it was not going to be anywhere near as effective, but it worked great.

If you don't plan on abusing the cart then I see no issue with that location provided there is enough space there when the cart is loaded down and the springs compressed.

If you do plan on abusing it then you may want to consider increasing air circulation in that somewhat confined space.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO