lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2022, 09:26 AM   #11
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Gas Turf carryall electrical problems?

What kind of battery is in this cart?
We know it had a bad ground already for the starter, did you replace the main ground cable from the battery to the frame as well?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2022, 12:41 PM   #12
Jaypay131
Not Yet Wild

Alright so let's see if I can answer all of the questions.

1. The battery installed is a interstate battery that we had laying around.

2. Yes, I redid the main ground from the frame to the battery.

3. Resistance between the two small terminals is 0.98

4. yes, we have 12v on the blue wire and yes, we have ground to the orange wire.

5. As far as the starter/generator being bad I currently have three of them laying in the shop. One is bad for sure that came new in the box bad. One is the original starter/generator that came on the cart, but it is on its last leg. (The cart won't run with that one on either. Same problem) And the third is a new one that I ran a bench test, and it seems fine.
Jaypay131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 01:18 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

What setting did you have your meter set to when checking resistance between the two small terminals? Is that 0.98 ohms? Or 0.98 kilo-ohms?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 01:25 PM   #14
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I just checked the solenoid coil on my DS before I head to work and it’s 16 ohms.

Try this as well. Put a light bulb (if you have an old school test light that’s not LED that will work as well) between the blue and orange wires. Let’s create a load on that circuit. When you press the pedal it should light up. Measure voltage again with a bulb in place of the solenoid.

Bad connections can sometimes be hidden in a circuit when there’s no load applied. Start drawing some current through the circuit and a lot can change quickly. Remember it only takes one strand of wire to make a circuit complete. But run current through that strand and it quickly heats up and drops the voltage. Low voltage could damage the solenoid as well (chattering)
Old 11-10-2022, 02:30 PM   #15
Jaypay131
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
What setting did you have your meter set to when checking resistance between the two small terminals? Is that 0.98 ohms? Or 0.98 kilo-ohms?
That would be 0.98 ohms.
Old 11-10-2022, 03:14 PM   #16
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypay131 View Post
That would be 0.98 ohms.
Yeah that’s no bueno. That’s basically a dead short.

Do you still have the other solenoids that it smoked? I’d like to know if they failed the same way.

I think we have an issue on the activation circuit. Now we just need to know if it’s on the power feed side or the ground side of it. Check voltage on the blue/orange with a load in line as I described. You can use a fog light bulb, test light… pretty much anything that will pull an amp or two so we can get not only voltage, but some current flowing through that circuit as well.

Gut tells me once you get a load in the circuit, you’ll see that 12v drop. I bet you find that there’s high resistance through one of the microswitches but it could be a chaffed wire or bad connection somewhere too.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:24 PM   #17
Jaypay131
Not Yet Wild

So I was able to check on of the first solenoids that popped on me and it tested out the exact same way.

I haven't had a chance to do anything else with the cart today due to some other projects that have been pushed up. Hopefully I will have a chance to do it tomorrow. I really appreciate it. Thanks again for everything.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car