lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #21
Garbear
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Melex 252 resistor speed control electrical problem

Ur a man after my own heart. I love almost anything mechanical but I'm partial to hotrods of all kinds. I saved the motor and transmission, although I'm not sure why I saved the motor since it was filled with water from the Fire Dept. putting the flames out. I was able to save the wheels and tires (now on the new coupe) and the tail light lenses which have the Plymouth sailing ship in the red lens. Truly old and truly expensive, if you can find them. Lots of lenses on Ebay but not with the sailing ship on the lens. Fire started in the wiring on the drivers side of the car and quickly spread to engine compartment. Nothing left of the interior. Got hot enough to melt the lead used by the factory to hide the seams.
Garbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #22
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Wow. I learned from things like that. I always a fire extinguisher on board no matter what I drive just in case. even the carts.

I think the lenses you are talking about were only a one year item I think. your orange car was a 40 right? I know those were pretty rare.

Arin
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #23
Garbear
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Believe me your preaching to the choir. Fire extinguishers go in all my vehicles from now on! Both of my Plymouth coupes were 1939 vintage. This was back when automakers changed their vehicles every year. Not like today where you can buy a body part for multiple years of cars or trucks.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #24
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

with the exception of 1942-1947.......
Old 03-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #25
Garbear
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Well shoot! I moved the wire to the dead pin and now with the key off it runs at full speed on that spot and with the key on it runs a full speed at all positions. Guess I'm back at the drawing board. I broke down and spent $35 dollars for a repair manual that is supposed to have schematics for the electrical and it's supposed to arrive in the mail today. I have a couple of things I have to do this morning but I'll be back on it this afternoon. If you have anything else let me know, my phone tells me when someone answers to this post.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #26
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

OK How are the cables connected to the motor? How do you have the cable from the swipe board to the FNR?
Old 03-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #27
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Gary! found the problem! dont' know how I missed this, but the cable that I had you move and the one to the throttle arm are supposed to be on the same side of the solenoid. the way you have it now you are bypassing the whole board. it's like hooking the battery straight to the motor. swap the 2 black cables and see what happens.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #28
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

OK. to break this down, the Positive of the battery pack goes to the S2 pin on the motor.

The Negative of the battery pack goes to the input side of the solenoid. (side pointing to the front of the cart)

the white cable to the throttle lever goes on the other side of the solenoid.

I am going to change up things here. Take the cable that we were locating on the dead pin and move it to Pin 4 the WOT pin. the other side of it run it to the FNR. that will by pass the coils totally at WOT.

Off of the Positive post of the battery run a line from there to the micro switch on the throttle. the other pin of that micro switch should run to the small pin on the solenoid to close it. that should get the throttle control back and working like it should. make sure the other 3 Pins are hooked to the motor per the drawing. see what you get.

Arin

Last edited by BumbleBee; 03-30-2013 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: I can't spell.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #29
Garbear
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Bumblebee, thanks for all your help!! I would be at the beginning of my journey if it hadn't been for your help. I did get the Melex repair manual today and it has a very clear diagram of the placement of the electrical on my cart. I followed it's direction and the cart works perfectly. So I guess we're off to new adventures. I'm planning on shooting primer on the body tomorrow and sanding and maybe shoot color Monday or Tuesday. Then I'll be 80% done. I once again want to thank you for all of your help.

Last edited by Garbear; 03-30-2013 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: wrong description
Old 03-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #30
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Welcome! do have a question, Looked thru the pics again of the body. did you add the flares? Mine didn't have them. Also is your body fiberglass? if so yours is newer or mine is older. Mine is supposed to be an 85 and it's a steel body almost identical to the same year EZGO marathon.

Glad you go it going. how far off were we?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex