lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
Chief Limping Horse
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 13hp Honda motor getting shoved into 91 club car

(Yes I know this is the clone section, the engines are identical so might as well be here.) I recently acquired a Honda 13 horse motor that I am going to put into my 91 DS. I want all the info needed to do this swap. I know that I will have to flip the engine and run in reverse, I also know I will need a clutch adapter. But beyond that I am lost. Please help
Chief Limping Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
Chief Limping Horse
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 13hp Honda motor getting shoved into 91 club car

BTW its lifted 6in with 20in tires
Chief Limping Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Welcome to our corner of the internet Chief!

is your 91 DS a gas or electric cart? If it's gas, is it currently complete?

If the 91 is electric, then you won't have reverse unless you get a gasser rear diff. I am a city-dweller and so reverse isn't too important for me. The further off pavement you go the more important reverse appears to get.

If you are going to keep the small gas tank on top of the 13hp engine, then you will have limited range but a simpler build. Often people put a bigger tank in and a pulse fitting near the carb running to a fuel pump.

You will need to fabricate an exhaust for it. The new engine will be much louder than your old one. The stock exhaust on the 13hp is very restrictive and will dump the heat and fumes right under the seat.

Do you plan on running accessories on the cart? The stock 13hp probably has electric start on it already, but the charging coil on these is quite small and will not keep up with really any other loads on the system. So you may want to re-install the stock Starter/Generator or put on a car alternator.

You can either buy or make a mounting plate for the engine. I made mine, but it is certainly easier to buy one. The site sponsors here offer mounting cradles for your engine. Vegas Carts has one. I thought it was in the neighborhood of $100 but can't remember for sure.

You may need a different belt length depending. When I did my clone swap it was to an electric cart so I had to do it all. You might be able to re-use your belt since you are possibly keeping the same engine/rear diff distance.

Good luck!
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
ncsu4life
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Limping Horse View Post
(Yes I know this is the clone section, the engines are identical so might as well be here.) I recently acquired a Honda 13 horse motor that I am going to put into my 91 DS. I want all the info needed to do this swap. I know that I will have to flip the engine and run in reverse, I also know I will need a clutch adapter. But beyond that I am lost. Please help
Unless your rear end is from a 97 or newer gas you don't need to flip the engine.
ncsu4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
Streetbu
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ditto to what he said^^^^ if your cart is a 91 & still has the original rear end, no need to flip the engine or run it in reverse for forward. Fairly straight forward swap. Look at my build thread in my signature. Should answer many of your questions....
Streetbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #6
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Any updates?
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps