lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
corkscrew
Gone Wild

Default 13 hp honda needs what

My duramax 16 hp has starting puking oil bad. So my 13 hp Honda spare must go on my cart. The motor runs if gas poured in carb. So I'll put a new carb, cut the crank, and put in. The question I have does you guys have any advice that needs to be done before I install. It's a used motor and I dont know anything about it. Thanks
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2015, 09:27 PM   #2
Streetbu
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 13 hp honda needs what

I would check the side cover bolts. Swap valve springs for the heavier 35lb ones, maybe a timing key since its already out. Change the oil, plug, add a source for your vacuum pulse for a fuel pump, check the valve lash and a new spark plug.
Streetbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
TheGDFP
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Carb and crank from the D-max may be an easy fix?
TheGDFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
corkscrew
Gone Wild

the 16hp honda CLONE leaking from the 7 bolt crank-case gasket. the new/old school REAL honda 13hp has some miles and hours and no oil leaks. Everything is stock on both. just going to put the real Honda in for a few weeks till I get done with the 16 hp clone rebuild. Want to do a real rebuild on the 16 hp but it just seems like evertime I get one thing fixed something starts. Fuel problem,(fixed). Exhaust,(fixed), Carb,(fixed) Air cleaner,(fixed). Been just a trail and run till break and towed in. I have maybe 15 hours on the duramax 16hp. Yes i wont speed and power but, an everyday runner would be nice. I really like this old cart and you guys have helped me every day. like we all know its getting hotter in the shop and more time riding than pulling wrenches is always a plus.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I would toss some HD springs in it is all, they are cheap. If you don't wind it out then don't bother.

Have to blue loctite the cover bolts they come loose then trash the gasket. So, you putting a cam and rod in the clone? Lol, had to ask!
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:54 PM   #6
corkscrew
Gone Wild

hey SHO, not sure what I'm doing with the 16hp duramax. My homebuilt S/G bracket broke about a 2" hole out of block were it was bolted to 1 of the 4 fuel tank ears. I now have the Vagas S/G bracket. But I need a new block. I have tried ti fix it about 3 times, The Vagas bracket has a side bolt that goes through the side cover into the block with the broken ear. I think sometimes the engine gives a slight kick-back on start and that will stress crack the jb weld on the broken piece. Going to put the running 50 dollar Caigslist 13hp honda in just for a short time to make sure the Vagas S/G bracket I'll be happy with. I'm sure its fine but just hate I killed my block with only 10-15 hours on engine. Other than my screw ups I'm completely happy with my clone. I just have to make sure its dependable cause the wife and kids ride by themself alot while I'm working.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:26 PM   #7
corkscrew
Gone Wild

my screw-up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0531.jpg (100.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-04-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

That is alum, it could be welded back in no problem but you would have to stone the gasket surface or something to get it smooth again. JB might work if you don't mount anything on there, but I rather weld it for the strength. Find someone with a TIG welder.

In my yami the gen is in front of the engine, its on a plate (the yami plate) that was the front engine mount. I welded a tube under it and then bars back to the rear mounts my clone sits on those. The tube lowers the front of the clone. The only thing on the clone is the throttle assembly I made to hook the cables up. I do have a bracket that goes down behind the clutch and one bolt to hold the gen tight, like an old alternator bracket on a 70s chevy.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:12 PM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkscrew View Post
hey SHO, not sure what I'm doing with the 16hp duramax. My homebuilt S/G bracket broke about a 2" hole out of block were it was bolted to 1 of the 4 fuel tank ears. I now have the Vagas S/G bracket. But I need a new block. I have tried ti fix it about 3 times, The Vagas bracket has a side bolt that goes through the side cover into the block with the broken ear. I think sometimes the engine gives a slight kick-back on start and that will stress crack the jb weld on the broken piece. Going to put the running 50 dollar Caigslist 13hp honda in just for a short time to make sure the Vagas S/G bracket I'll be happy with. I'm sure its fine but just hate I killed my block with only 10-15 hours on engine. Other than my screw ups I'm completely happy with my clone. I just have to make sure its dependable cause the wife and kids ride by themself alot while I'm working.
You can buy a new 10 bolt block from Vegascarts for $99.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:49 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
You can buy a new 10 bolt block from Vegascarts for $99.
Not a bad deal.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps