lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #1
lyoneyes
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 13 HP Predator for my G5 Sun Classic

I bought this cart knowing the engine knocked and was right in assuming it was a rod. Price of parts to repair that Yamahammer engine is for peeps with more money than common sense (IMHO). Besides, who wants to be 5 miles from home on a cart with an engine put together in a garage by a guy who rebuilds one small engine every decade? ...… Not me. So...…..the 420cc Predator is in my shed and I'm going over to the storage building to pick the cart up. Metal fabrication issues won't be a problem. Machine shop work might be a different story. I do have a set of inline reamers and that's about the extent of my available tooling. Not sure just yet if they would even do me any good till I get a looksee at the situation at hand. I understand there is another option out there of a taper to straight bore adapter. This engine will be the only power upgrade I do. Read somewhere that this is not advisable because you have to cut the PTO shaft on the motor. How's that work out for a guy who no plans of ever upgrading to a v twin. I just want it to run and be reliable enough that I won't have to go rescue someone stranded a mile or two from home. Thanks in advance for any input and advice.

Last edited by lyoneyes; 06-21-2019 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: add pic
lyoneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2019, 06:54 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: 13 HP Predator for my G5 Sun Classic

Why not just spend the $'s for the comet 780 clutch ? It is a bolt on and works well with the clones.Not to mention what kind of shape is the old clutch in anyway ? The 780 reliable and easy. Isn't that your goal ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:18 AM   #3
BuggieMaverick
Not Yet Wild

I went the taper adapter and stock clutch and regret it, big time. The taper adapter requires cutting the crankshaft and tapping threads so it’s not a drop-in part. That also means having to replace the crankshaft if you ever want to upgrade to the Comet clutch.

Stock clutches are poorly suited for anything but stock engines. I found out the hard way. Don’t be like me.
BuggieMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:17 AM   #4
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I have to agree --- if you replacing a worn out - rod knocking old engine -- I wouldn't be putting a worn out - rod knocking old clutch on my new engine. You have to drill and cut and tap the Predator crank. A Comet 780 is the best clutch for the job your trying to do. It can be purchased with different engagement speeds. You won't regret it.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:32 AM   #5
chrisr32
Gone Wild

Shepard is given good advice and Site Sponsors is a good place to shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
I have to agree --- if you replacing a worn out - rod knocking old engine -- I wouldn't be putting a worn out - rod knocking old clutch on my new engine. You have to drill and cut and tap the Predator crank. A Comet 780 is the best clutch for the job your trying to do. It can be purchased with different engagement speeds. You won't regret it.

Last edited by TheNewGuy; 07-17-2019 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: non sponsor
chrisr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #6
lyoneyes
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Sounds right. I am definitely reconsidering my approach. Might as well do it right all the way around. Thanks
Old 06-22-2019, 09:00 AM   #7
lyoneyes
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Sure is. I'm checking it out here now. Looks like there are different engagement rpms and I am wondering about the generator pulley. I would likely reinstall that at a later time.
Prices are right too
Old 06-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

You might want to install the S/G pulley in the initial build. Use the S/G for starting and charging.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:03 AM   #9
lyoneyes
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I'm convinced with that idea. The clutch was a little worn and there is a chip out of the generator pulley Haven't explored this enough yet and wondering if the starter/generator pulley is there too.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:35 AM   #10
lyoneyes
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I am looking at the Comet 780 with 1 inch straight bore and I looks like the starter generator pulley is not on it. Am I missing something here?

Tags
13 hp, 13hp, 420 cc, 420cc, predator
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps