lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2022, 11:41 AM   #1
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default A little different, Husqvarna 208cc in mobility scooter

So I picked up a Pride Mobility scooter and saw brand new (with free shipping) Husqvarna 208cc 6.5hp motors on the auction site and grabbed one. Being that it's not a golf cart but a mobility scooter I picked up a centrifugal clutch.

Now I wait for them all to arrive.

But it has me thinking about the Husqvarna engine. Anyone else run one? Is it just another clone or are there special considerations I need to make? I'm hoping I can just move the governor spring and get 4200 or 4400 rpm.

I may be too hopeful but I'd like to be able to do a burnout and also be able to reach 35mph. Since it's basically a lightened gokart that may be possible but we'll see!

bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2022, 11:53 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: A little different, Husqvarna 208cc in mobility scooter

The engine is made by LCT for Husqvarna and anyone else that'll pay them. They make these engines for a lot of clients evidently.

The one I have is the winter edition. The winter edition has a much cooler muffler and a different carb with no air filter! I guess dust doesn't exist when it's snowing? IDK since I live in FL.

I'm hopeful that the muffler does a better job than the little coffee can version. I won't know till I get a diff carb, air filter and fuel supply on there.

Plus it has a 120v starter... Plug it in and press the button. Kinda neat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5048.jpg (390.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5049.jpg (351.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5050.jpg (368.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5051.jpg (527.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5052.jpg (253.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-30-2022, 07:33 AM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
The engine is made by LCT for Husqvarna and anyone else that'll pay them. They make these engines for a lot of clients evidently.

The one I have is the winter edition. The winter edition has a much cooler muffler and a different carb with no air filter! I guess dust doesn't exist when it's snowing? IDK since I live in FL.

I'm hopeful that the muffler does a better job than the little coffee can version. I won't know till I get a diff carb, air filter and fuel supply on there.

Plus it has a 120v starter... Plug it in and press the button. Kinda neat.
That engine would be for a snow blower. No dust when blowing snow. The pull start handle is large enough for your gloved hand to pull it. Same setup on my 25+ yr old MTD/8hp flathead Tecumseh blower.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 07:58 AM   #4
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

That should be an interesting death machine lol.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 12:08 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Being disabled I have my cart, of course, but also a Go-Go Elite Traveler scooter. I can understand the want for a scooter to travers more difficult terrain, but to have one built for that speed may be more akin to a rocket 🚀 on a skateboard.

Those small scooter wheels are not built for that torque or speed, and even a slight oversteer at speed would be a recipe for disaster.

But that’s MHO
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 05:56 PM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I posted mentioned it once before, but this one is even more like the "power scare" from Street Outlaws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ9G_h_1_l8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot (4).jpg (64.7 KB, 0 views)
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 03:12 PM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg454 View Post
That should be an interesting death machine lol.
My neighbor (who is a structural engineer) asked if I needed anything when I told her what I was building. My response was 'bandages... Lots of bandages...'

Wifey told me that it didn't sound safe. I told her not to worry, I'd be wearing a leather helmet!

I disassembled the scooter. In stock form the frame comes apart in the middle. I'm making it one piece, I don't need it to disassemble for transport. It even has a baby sized sway bar with springs that indeed look like valve springs off a v8 on there. Pretty funny! I may end up deleting the swaybar.

And while not 35mph I did some rough calculations and I'm going to try a 48 tooth sprocket on the axle with a 10 tooth on the centrifugal. If the motor makes 4k rpm then that's 24.8mph with these 10 inch tires. A 54 tooth would net me 22.0 at 4k. I'm hoping for more than 4k but who knows?

Here's a mobility scooter on the drag strip. It has the stock wheels and tires still but it's got a 125cc motorcross engine in there with 5 gears.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2D2fP6yBzU

---- edit ----

I saw another clip of Colin Furze where he got that cart up to 82mph on a longer stretch and after he hit 82mph, while he was slowing down, one of the rear tires blew... So if it blew from 82mph I figure half of that should be OK for the tire. But I don't want to do 41... I'll start with 25 and maybe change the gearing to get more speed after I see how 25 does. May end up with a Tav 30 torque-a-verter if I can't get the speed I want with accel.

But I need to get it going first. Tweaking will come later.
Old 05-02-2022, 04:02 PM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Post pics please!!

I really want to build a mobility scooter that can handle some actual off road "stuff". Not like my Cart can, but something that could handle foot paths in the woods...with like maybe 6" of ground clearance and enough power (torque) to climb some steep hills without a heat switch killing the motor!!

I'd like to build one that is electric and that I can have loaded on an airplane.

At some point I would like to visit Italy, but I'd need a cart that has enough power and big enough tires to climb a set of stairs.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:47 AM   #9
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So here's where I'm at. I've welded on the engine mounting plate and extended the frame about 8 or 9 inches. The final length isn't set until I weld on the rear swingarm. I'm using an under-powered 110v wire feed welder but I was able to make most of the welds good. The ones on the underside of the engine plate are pretty crappy though.

In the first pic, the rear swingarm is just sitting on top of the frame, it's not mounted yet.

In the second pic I set the motor on it and axle so I could get a better idea of how it'll look. The axle isn't shortened yet, it won't stick out that far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5088.jpg (572.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5090.jpg (479.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-04-2022, 09:36 AM   #10
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, I just ordered the 48T sprocket... Now I'm committed to the gear ratio for Version 1 of the mobility scooter. Also ordered #41 nickel plated chain and a drum brake kit as well.

I mentioned this build to several people and almost universally every guy said they wanted to drive it! I then found some random internet article that said these clone type engines can get up to 5200 rpm in stock form with the governor disabled, valve float prevents them from making any speed beyond that (if random internet articles can be beleived). Back to my spreadsheet, 5k rpm with a 48 tooth gets 31.0mph on paper... I may need to leave the governor intact to start with!

Also, when I lengthened the frame I used 1x1 steel square tube for the two outside extensions and 2x2 square tube for the center. I notched the 2x2 so it had an underbite, this way it only hung down about 1/2 inch below the existing structure and gave me more surface area to weld to. The 1x1 I notched out an overbite and welded on top of the existing structure. This way the top of the 1x1 and top of the 2x2 would be on the same plane.

I figure those three should be more than substantial enough for what I'm doing. My axle bearings should be here today. I also ordered some LED spotlights (I'll use one as a headlight) and 3.5" wheels to be on my new wheelie bars, when I get that far.

But no work on the cart tonight. Tonight is honey-do list stuff. I'm excited about building the cart but if I don't strike a balance there'll be a disturbance in the force...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71jjpaxX90L._AC_SX679_.jpg (50.4 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps